After you guys helped me in putting together a simple receiver, I thought I should try to make a phase shift module to achieve sideband rejection. I grabbed the schematic from EMRFD figure 9.56, and adapted it. I don't have much in the way of precision resistors, so I did what I could with DMM matching. To make the oddball values, I had to write a program to calculate series and parallel combinations that would get me close... I can't get the 1% precision values that the EMRFD authors suggest, but I feel like I did OK given what I have on hand. Construction went OK -- I went with only one isolation routing pass, which required a lot of cleanup. So I'll stick with the 2-3 passes I've used in the past. Anyway, after some work with a scalpel, it came together alright: I didn't have any 6k8 0805 resistors, so I bodged in some 1206s (making for some solder blobs and two unsightly wires), but my construction is improving, I think. A lower iron temperature and more flux seem to have helped. And testing with a signal generator shows about 34dB of sideband rejection (if I'm doing my math right), and it seems to work OK. I'll have to get some higher precision resistors, though, and now I see why people buy fancy bench-top multimeters!