ad: IACantenna-1

iPhone gets hot and battery life goes down

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KE0CU, Jun 13, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE0CU

KE0CU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone know what's going on with my iPhone 6? If I use it alot such as web browsing/searching, it gets warm and my battery rapidly discharges. I'm using iOS 11.4 and the maximum capacity in the battery life window says 88%.

Is this normal (heating from heavy use)? I never used to experience this.

Sign I need a new battery?

Your experience?

Thanks!

Hank/ke0cu

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

First thing to do is close all apps, GPS, WiFi and power cycle the phone. If it gets hot with one app running while surfing, warm is normal, then you gotta a problem.

There is a difference between Warm and Hot. Warm is normal if talking for more than a few minutes or running intensive apps especially those that use WiFi and GPS. Hot is a battery issue and risk fire aka Thermal Runaway, and the type of Lithium battery cell phones use are notorious for Thermal Runaway and catching fire.

3. KE0CU

Thanks, Dereck

Mostly warm, occasionally close to hot. Would changing out the battery be the answer?

Hank/ke0cu

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you buy a battery I would try a couple of things first.

To start like I said close all apps, and power down. Let the phone cool down. Turn phone on and monitor with your hands and see where the heat is coming from. Toward the bottom is the processor, the back is the battery, and then the display. If it is the battery area, it is time to get concerned.

If it only happens under certain conditions like heavy data crunching like games, streaming movies, or extensive talking is going to make the phone warm. But if the phone gets hot while charging or idling is a battery issue and a fire danger. So determine what and were the phone starts getting hot. A lot depends on how you define hot. Comfortable warm is not likely an issue if you are using the phone. By hot I mean getting uncomfortably hot.

My WAG is it is the battery if getting hot, and by turning off from a cold start and the battery heats up quickly means you have a battery problem. If it is Thermal Runaway and you do not terminate, it will catch firre and you cannot extinguish the fire easily.

Wished I could be of more help by being there. Use the heat sensitive parts of you hands , neck and family jewels to locate the hot spot.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If the battery does not charge to 100% I would color it gone.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7. KA4VNM

KA4VNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was told by Verizon that Apple will replace the battery free of charge. You might want to hit the Apple Store up.

8. KE0CU

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have worked through all of the tips given in the link suggested by n0tzu as well as doing a complete restore of the phone as shown here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252. It as helped a bit but not completely. Even though the iPhone Battery Helth Maximum Capacity shows 88%, I still feel that a new battery would probably help. Even though I could try the iPhone replacement offer from Apple, I would probably do-it-myself as shown here: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-6-Replacement-Battery/IF268-002-4, or some other business that does it while you wait. I hope, too, that Apple comes out with a software update that helps!

Hank/ke0cu

9. NB3R

NB3R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to replace the battery in my iPhone 6. I bought this replacement from Amazon. Comes with all the tools you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076LW4F9D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reseating the the connections and positioning the microscopic screws requires a steady hand. The most difficult part is removing the battery. It is held in place with two strips of elastic, double sided tape. You have to peel the tape from underneath the battery to get it out. The tape is very strong and the battery will not release until nearly all the tape is separated from the phone case.

That said it is an easy DIY job

10. KE0CU

I've installed iOS 11.4.1 and it helps better than anything to improve battery life.