Invisible fence (for dog) interference?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K1VW, Aug 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My daughter wants to install an “invisible fence” for the dog at my house, with a perimeter wire buried around the yard. I have no idea what brand or frequency. I primarily use the radio in the evenings, and I’ve told her if it creates interference I’ll turn it off when I’m using the radio. Still, if there are ways to minimize interference in the first place I’d like to do that, and I’m looking for “lessons learned”. I have resonent wire dipoles for 20,30,40,&80 meters which are close to the house, and her fence will make a wider loop than that, so her wire won’t be directly under my antennas.

What I’ve read indicates a lot of the issues comes the “transmitter” itself more than the signal in the wire. I’m wondering if I should build a “dog house” for the transmitter, shrouded in sheet metal and grounded, and put that in the woods out back, at the edge of the perimeter?

When the dog has been trained, does this wire make a good centerpoise for a 160meter antenna? When I am transmitting, is there any chance I can accidentally zap the dog?

Your thoughts?

2. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Fences are good for dogs. Keeps 'em where you want 'em. No RFI.

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

The one I had years ago drove the wire with a very low frequency (~10kHz). I didn't hear any harmonics at 40m.

Topic has come up before...

4. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. Yes, I know it has come up before but most seem to be (a) "now I have this problem, what do I do about it?" or (b) same question as mine asked before installation, but no solid answers on avoiding problems.

I may be jumping the gun; maybe I won't have a problem. But if I do, then I'll be kicking myself for not understanding and avoiding it up front.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got about 5 acres covered with one of those dog wires, I don't notice anything and it runs right below all my antennas.

AA7QQ likes this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 9-1/3 acres that is fully fenced, but it only keeps the horses in. The dogs can walk right through them. What am I doing wrong? :rolleyes: But still no RFI. :p

7. 2E0ILY

2E0ILY Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to use one on about 5 acres and no problem at all, and I work LF and my friend works MF here, so nothing down there, nor on the HF bands.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Next door neighbor has one, no RFI noted.

9. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A few years back I bought several 500-foot rolls of the "dog fence" wire for about $10 a roll. 20AWG solid copper. Handled carefully, it makes great radial wire.

Also used it for some small dipoles and receiving antennas. Unfortunately it's no longer $10 a roll... :(

10. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I should hope that it interferes with the dogs. That's what its supposed to do!

One note, if the dog crosses the fence at high speed, it may not get the "Gentle" correction until the pooch attempts to saunter home. I found the neighbors Greyhound on my porch one day, and called the neighbor. Evidently, the dog took out after a bunny and crossed the line without receiving a "correction". I removed the shock collar and slipped a standard choke chain from our dog around the greyhounds neck, hooked a leash to it and walked it back to the neighbors house. When we got to the "Fence", the warning sound, (more of a vibration) triggered. The dog pulled up short and wouldn't go any farther. She must have tried to go home several times and learned what Thomas Wolfe penned, "You Can't Go Home Again".

Oh, to the original question, the neighbor's invisible fence never caused me any RFI.

WR2E likes this.