Inverters and batteries

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WM5TS, May 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm thinking about including an inverter with my battery backup in a go kit. The inverter would charge my PC and run maybe a small fan. I general how noisy are your average inverters if near an HF rig?

Thanks;

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, you "get what you pay for." The inexpensive ones usually have little or no filtering, and being a stepped square wave (rather than a true sine wave) usually are rich in harmonics. The cheap ones can usually power or recharge a laptop, but (usually) are not suitable for radio purposes, at least not for HF. They MAY be (just barely) acceptable for VHF/UHF FM radios.

WM5TS likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Various DC to AC power inverters (April 2009 [1039 kB]) Link is only usable to signed in ARRL members.
    The ARRL tested five different Inverters. Pure sine wave inverters are best. Modified sine wave inverters are cheaper but have more noise isssues.

Zak W1VT

4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

See this thread: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/help-need-low-rfi-dc-dc-converter-for-laptops.704737/
    I am dealing with this right now.
    You have the following choices:
    1. Get a computer that runs on 12 volts and thus needs no power supply.
    2. Get Get a computer that runs on less than 12 volts and can use a simple regulator with no switching.
    3. Use a 12 volt laptop power supply. A DC-DC converter is a switching power supply and some of them are really noisy.
    4. Use a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter and the regular 120 volts power supply for the computer. Now you have the noise of an inverter,and a cheap square wave inverter is noisy, plus the noise of the laptop switching power supply.
    Some ideas for you:
    1. Get a 12 volt fan, these are plentiful at any boat supply store and FleaBay too.
    2. What I may do next: Built a Raspberry Pi rig computer that runs on 5 volts.
    3. I had a laptop that was happy on 12 volts, but it has finally aged out :(