Inverted L for 80/160

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by ZP9MCE, Dec 1, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ZP9MCE

ZP9MCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All

Greetings Friends I am on a project and looking for help. I have a 16 meter fiberglass pole and I am interested in placing 2 inverted Ls, one for 80 and another for 160 meters. Both with the same mast and the same radials. What do you think?
    Manu ZP9MCE

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds interesting and potentially worthwhile. I wonder, though, how you will orient the horizontal parts---180 degrees away from each other or at a right angle perhaps?

Here's a great article on inverted Ls by Cebik that might be helpful for you. Let us know how it goes and good luck with your project.

Jeff

http://www.on5au.be/Cebik-2/StraighteningOutTheInverted-l.pdf

ZP9MCE and KU3X like this.
  3. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you need much of an angle to separate them. But I don't know if on the same mast will work... I think a few inches (at least 5cm) at least is well advised between the wires, other than at the feedpoint. But... if the wires go out at the top of the mast, maybe it'd be ok? Might be worth trying.

Will this be with elevated radials, or a bunch of buried radials?

4. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I changed a G7FEK antenna to 160/40 use by lengthening the long side for 160. I did away with the counterpoise and installed radials under the feed point.
    Don't see why you couldn't use your support and do 160 off one side and 80 from the other.
    Mike N3PM

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure you can do it. My friend did just that a few years ago and it worked great. Same common feed point with a 22 ohm to 50 ohm unun at the feed point.
    Both wires went up about 35 feet and spaced about 8 inches apart. The flat part on one of the L's went in one direction and the other was placed in the opposite direction. Trim the wires for resonance and done.
    It I remember correctly he had about 50 random length radial wires laying on the ground radials.
    I did not plot the pattern for him but he did work all kinds of DX with it.

Barry

AK5B likes this.
  6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious how this works out. I’m thinking of doing something similar with an Inv-L and a vertical.

Another alternative is one longer “random” wire and a remote ATU at the base. Or even a trapped Inv-L.