Inverted L 600M and 160M

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by KB1FGC, Feb 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking of installing a 160M inverted L and 600 inverted L.Can I install both together as a 2 bander?This would save some space.Not sure if that is too complicated.I could sqeeze the 600M somewhere else if need be.
    Thanks
    Rich

2. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

GET a BIG spool of wire for 630 M QW inv "L" ant .. 234/475 kHz = 493 ft of ant wire. Then you have to think of a huge ground counterpoise system !!
    I have been listening to 630 M, for a year and only have heard a few signals. Most were digi modes that I can not decode here.

4. KB1FGC

Thanks for the tip.I have been listening on and off and only once did I hear some CW signals.Maybe I have to think about that.73

5. N6UJM

N6UJM Ham Member QRZ Page

What radios will tx & rx the 600M band?? I really enjoy the 160M band and I'm intrigued by the 600M band.

6. KB1FGC

Mini-kits makes a transverter for the transmit side.That would run off your radio and convert the frequency to the 600m band.There isn't too much out there were you can but it in one package.I know there is a radio out there that will do that and it may be around 700dollars for the transmitter I think.My Kenwood has an option that allows for using a transverter .If you don't have a radio that will do that then I think it has to be opened up and wired in,Beyond what I would do.here is the Mini-kits transvertor https://www.minikits.com.au/electronic-kits/transverters/eme223-630m
    check out this page,It may have the radio that I described above,I couldn't seem to find it.Bit this link will help you out a bit.http://www.472khz.org/pages/and-more/useful-links.php.For rceive ,A long antenna wire will do and any radio that can go down that low.I use my 160 1/4 wave dipole.But I can hear signals on my 80 meter dipole.That would at least get you started.You also need an amp,As you won't get much signal out of the antenna,So they use amps,Special built ones plus a few other things.A lot of guys should be able to help you better than me.
    Good luck

Rich

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

As more ops decide to play with those bands , maybe some more kits will be offered at a more reasonable price level.

Seems like more hams are moving ito HOA communities and then complain they can't have any antennas and are limited to VHF/UHF repeaters by the antenna restriction.:eek:
    Who is left with property for some VLF monster antennas : ??? :rolleyes: