introduction and a noob question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN4YJE, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4YJE

KN4YJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I m Rob, KN4YJE out of Lugoff SC.
    Got my Tech Ticket October '19. Been on the air since Feb '20. I'm a total Noob.
    Running a Baofang 8W handy talky with a 2m/7cm 16" antenna on the roof of the truck.

Now for the question,
    I have noticed that when I am monitoring a repeater, I sometimes only pick up half the conversation.
    I fully expect this running Simplex, but apparently my understanding of how a repeater works is flawed.
    Its my understanding that if a signal goes into a repeater its broadcast such that if I'm close enough to pick up one half of the conversation I should be able to pick up the entire conversation, not just the signal of the radio closest to me (major assumption there). I have also noticed it only occurs on one particular repeater based in downtown Columbia.
    So what did I get wrong in Repeater 101?

2. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look at your settings and see if you have it set to Tone Squelch or a similar setting for this particular repeater.
    If your radio does not receive the INPUT tone, it will block the audio.
    Set to ENC (encode) only, not ENC DEC (encode/decode.)
    I may not be stating the facts clearly, I'm going on memory from entering a new repeater manually a couple of days ago in my vehicle rig.
    Basically: send a tone only to open the repeater, no tone (CTCSS/DCS) needed to open YOUR receiver.
    Good luck.
    Tryon W1TRY

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    WG7X likes this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For 2m repeaters, the "standard" offset is 600khz, so the input to the repeater is 600khz above or below the output frequency. If you're listening to the input, then you may experience hearing part of the conversation.

Also, Baofeng radios have no input filtering of any sort, and don't like external antennas. Strong signals like broadcast FM stations can swamp the receiver, even out of band, and make them deaf. That may also account for what you're experiencing.

Edit:
    Incidentally, the repeater offset will vary depending on the output frequency.

Output Frequency______Offset
    145.1 MHz - 145.5 MHz -600 kHz
    146.0 MHz - 146.4 MHz +600 kHz
    146.6 MHz - 147.0 MHz -600 kHz
    147.0 MHz - 147.4 MHz +600 kHz
    147.6 MHz - 148.0 MHz -600 kHz

WB5YUZ, W1TRY and WG7X like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, welcome aboard! bill

-Review the settings for that channel in your radio. Perhaps something is amiss. You may have reversed the Tx/Rx frequencies and be listening on the input frequency.

W1TRY likes this.
  5. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it possible you are listening to the input, not the output frequency?

W1TRY and WG7X like this.
  6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition to the various ideas already presented, sometimes people will transmit on the output frequency of a repeater.

Usually, this practice isn't such a great idea, but suppose you have a friend who always monitors a certain repeater, and you happen to be close to your friend, yet unable to reach the repeater with your low-powered radio. You may be able to reach your friend by transmitting simplex on the output frequency. Others listening to the repeater might not hear you.

That's an unusual situation, but I've heard it more than once. Sometimes it was intentional, sometimes not.

7. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

What band are you listening to? Some repeater systems have "remote" receivers which are linked on 222 or 440 MHz. If you are listening to a link, this might explain why you only hear half of a conversation.
    Tom WA4ILH

8. KN4YJE

KN4YJE Ham Member QRZ Page

I programmed it with CHIRP, its possible I fat fingered something.
    If I'm listening on the input would I get the station ID CW code? Because I do, especially early in the AM when I "wake it up" during my commute.
    And when I let go of the PTT I get the signal pause and ping return.
    I'll look at the settings and see what happens.

"Also, Baofeng radios have no input filtering of any sort, and don't like external antennas. Strong signals like broadcast FM stations can swamp the receiver, even out of band, and make them deaf. That may also account for what you're experiencing."
    That's interesting. Hadn't read that before. I have gained ability to receive and send since putting the pigtail antenna on the roof. I'll research that.

9. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an FYI- You said 2m/7cm antenna. The magnetic-mount antennas are almost always inferior to NMO-mount antennas, especially after a few miles with rain & dry & rain conditions. While the ground of the NMO mount is protected by being on the 'underside' of the metal roof/fender/trunk area, the magnetic base has a thin plastic barrier designed to initially keep your paint in good condition. The minute it gets a grain or two of sand underneath, all bets are off. The magnetic base antennas generally are designed to account for this compromise in 'ground plane', and some are better than others. More experienced operators sometimes use magnets only for situations where the vehicle is leased, and often add extra 'grounding' to connect to the vehicle chassis. This would NOT be a good idea for a 'nooby' to attempt ( adding a ground ) because you might short out that portable radio if you are not checking S.W.R. Details count: BaofAng or BaofEng?