Introducing the MAGNAKEYER

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by AE8J, Nov 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VK2ADS

VK2ADS Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if I were not a CW buff, and didn't know what a Magnakeyer was used for, I would buy one just for the fantastic engineering.
    Now, to find a way of getting one to Oz, without the incredible overseas freight ....
    VE4DLA likes this.
  2. AE8J

AE8J Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming Soon; Magnakeyer Deluxe

All the same features of Magnakeyer Standard except all stainless steel version

Attached Files:

3. KM4AHP

KM4AHP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm interested in one and sent you a PM.
  4. VK2ADS

Did you get a reply? I sent an email over a week ago & no reply.
    How do you contact this guy?
  5. W3JJW

W3JJW Ham Member QRZ Page

He's busy with his regular life I think. If you sent an email, then I think you have to just be patient. I emailed directly.

I do believe there is a long growing waiting list at the moment. My key shipped last week, but I waited after being put on a list a few weeks before that.

Good luck. I will post later this coming week with some pictures and a short review. I only have one paddle (Begali Traveller) with which to compare it, but it's a decent one. I have already asked about the Deluxe, but it sounds like that's a ways off yet. That leads me to believe that he's been inundated with orders.

6. KM4AHP

KM4AHP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Jay,

He responded and said he was making some more and it would be about 6 weeks and he would let me know when they were ready.
  7. VK2ADS

Thanks Jay
    I guess it's more of a problem to work out freight to VK...
    So, I'll just wait ....
  8. W2RGH

W2RGH Ham Member QRZ Page

Use Email I got a fairly quick rely and requested to placed on waiting list.
  9. W9OD

W9OD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I received my Magnakeyer last week, I did send Andy an email and got a response shortly after. It may have been a day or two. He told me he had some ready to ship. I got it about 4-5 days after sending the payment. This is a great paddle!!! He should be charging a lot more for it. It is heaven and smooth with a light touch. It has replaced my N0SA paddle.
  10. W3JJW

W3JJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have only a Bengali traveller to compare mine with, but it is a favorable comparison. Bengali's piece is perhaps finished better, but for 200 plus, it had better be!

For 80 bucks, there isn't a better paddle available anywhere (given these materials). Of that, I am fairly certain.

I was able to adjust mine with the same contact spacer I got with my Bengali, and this key can work at the spacing just fine. And like the Bengali, you can carefully make it even tighter, almost to no movement. So this is a big boy tool for sure.

What I find particularly interesting from a FEEL perspective is the difference in magnet use between the two.

The Magnakeyer uses the magnets to pull on the contact arm to keep the contact open. On the other hand, the Bengali traveller uses the magnets to repel the key open.
    This means that as you close the Bengali key, the push/resistance on the paddles increases...where as with the Magnakeyer, the contact arm becomes easier to move because you are moving away from an attracting magnet. Given my extreme lack of experience, this might be nothing to talk about. But for me, it sure seems that this difference creates a very different feel when keying. I never thought I'd notice this, but I noticed it within a minute of using it.

Essentially the Bengali resists keying constantly, and with the Magnakeyer I don't feel this component this component. I am not selling the Traveller yet...but I am thinking about because this key does feel very very good.