Intersted in the new VX-8

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N7DFF, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NG7P

NG7P Ham Member QRZ Page

VX-8R

Just received mine today:) When you get yours, make sure you read thru the Operating Manual first. This is truly an amazing HT! I will get the GPS and Bluetooth options for sure. Only downfall so far has been the stock battery charger. It will take all 3.5 hours to recharge the battery.

2. KJ3LR

KJ3LR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received mine from HRO online. The rig seems to work well on all of the functions I've tested so far. The RX is just awesome. Another great tri-bander from Yaesu......and GREAT service from Ham Radio Outlet.......Outstanding customer service!!!

3. N6PG

N6PG Ham Member QRZ Page

I also just got one. I have been out of amateur radio for about 20 years, and this is my entry back into the hobby. I always made the occasional trip into HRO, but I was never impressed with the direction radios had gone. This radio is an exception. I have had many Icoms, one Kenwood, and this is my second Yaesu.

The construction of the HT is very stong. All menus can be accessed easily thru the alphabetical list or most on the front keypad directly. The features are very well thought out. There are a lot, and a read through the manual is a must. With 24 memory banks one can organize stored memory in a useful way. I also like that you can scan the memory all by the "1st tag" so, for example, I named repeaters by the mountains they are on in San Diego. When I scan "O" I get all the Otay repeaters. You can also select the first 2 charaters to scan by. I like that you can set up a continuous scan and have it auto add freqs where there is activity. That is useful in a new city without a repeater manual.

The spectrum analyzer is a neat feature to see what is active on a band, and then one can dial to that freq and hear what is going on. All in all... great rig. I'm happy to be back into radio with this.

4. N6NGO

N6NGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my eye on this radio for a while now. I, too, have been out of the ham radio hobby for many years, but have always maintained my license.

Glad to see there are a lot of pleased users of this HT.

I think this just may be my "comeback" radio :)

5. AI6PU

AI6PU Ham Member QRZ Page

My last rig was the VX-7R and I wish the 8 was available in silver. Makes for easier reading in darker environments.

I read the manual once but need to look at it a few more times. I feel like I am reading about splitting atoms. I'm college educated, but I sure don't feel like it while reading the manual.

At first I was worried that the 8 is not a magnesium shell like the 7 is. Why oh why does everything have to be made from plastic today? Holy cow I thought it was bad enough with my Nikon lenses but now the radio...is nothing sacred?

The thinness of the radio is very nice. I sure with the 1800mAh battery was standard and then we'd have the option of the "lighter" 1100mAh battery. You know the lower power battery will just sit in a drawer. Well to spite the manufacturer for doing that, I refused to buy an extra battery. At least right off. Since the thing is not metal and therefore very light, I'll stick with the "light is better" attitude for now.

Now I always lose little things, and the tip of the antenna is no exception. I think I will opt for the longer antenna and lose the short piece rather than vice versa. I did that with my VX-7R.

The instruction manual has an entire spread dedicate to the functions of the 20 buttons on the front of the radio. Whether you press a button, press and hold a button, or press [F]W and a button, the function is there. With 60 possible push this-and-that combinations, you are not going to want to lose this book.

The belt clips screws onto the battery. There is no swivel option. Rats.

Of course I opted for the external mic and the base charger. That's about it for now. Next, I will read until blood flows from my ears.

I'll tell ya, if the FCC ever put ten questions about the Yaesu VX-8 into their tests, you'll see folks wanting Morse Code testing to replace it!

6. N6NGO

N6NGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so I purchased this radio yesterday and I love it. Packed full of features. :)

One thing I can't figure out (and I can't find it in the manual) is how to erase a memory channel. I accidentally stored a repeater in two different channels and I need to erase one.

If anyone knows the procedure for this, please post here.

Thanks

7. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know how SWL is on this. My VX-7R did not even work because the fact I lived right by WLS 50 KW transmitter.

8. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another ?

The CT-131 microphone extension is short on details.

Does anyone know if the screw-in mic/speaker cords used for a VX-6R work with this accessory.

A possible answer to the question about deleting memory channels. On the VX-6R you can mask or overwrite, but no delete.

9. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about this model, but I have never seen the ability to erase a stored entry short of a complete reset. Usually you just overwrite the chanel with a new entry.

If you want to hide it for any reason, just program in a fake number.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.