Interstate Freeway Overpass Height

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB6OIN, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Tidbit: My home town had a RR overpass that went over a sharp dip in the road. The clearance was marked propery to the road directly below. But a long semi would stretch acrsoss the dip and be much higher. About every two years one would get hung up. Fortunately the RR tracks were not harmed.

Don't raise the bridge, let the air out of the tires. (Jerry Lewis).

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

DIRECT ANSWER!

13'6" is your lowest height on the ENTIRE "INTERSTATE" system(Not to include all US and State Hwys, Just I- this and I- that). The one exception is the right hand lane of (I believe) I-70 in Downtown St. Louis. They may have fixed that though. Its never been an issue. Many New England and Chicago towns and highways have lower overpasses, but interstates are not effected. If you need to go higher then 8 or 9 feet off of the interstate, I would stop at any truck stop and check out the commercial vehicle atlas that they all sell. In the front will be a state by state, road by road height list.

Note that you will mostly see overpasses 14-16feet clearance, but 13'6" is the designed limits.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  3. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many overpasses in the 12 foot range on Interstate highways in Urban areas. New York and Chicago especially. Spend 20 bucks and buy a truckers atlas at a truckstop. That will tell you about low overpasses and where they are.

Not knowing where you were starting from in NYC, I have to wonder why I-78? You'd be better off getting on I-80 in the city or taking I-280 up to 80. I-78 sux.

This time of year, and from where you are going to be coming from, you might consider a southern route. The mountains in Wyoming, Utah, or Colorado are gonna suck. Good possibility of snow and ice and 80 MPH winds in the high passes.

Drop down to I-70 to St,Louis, Pick-up I-44 to Oklahoma City, then I-40 over to Kingman, AZ where you'd pick up US-93 up to Vagas plus you would get to cross Hoover Dam. A few more miles, but allot safer.

4. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

False, 13-6 is as low as they go on the interstate (aside from that one lane in STL). Period!

Surface streets are a different story. This includes US and State Hwy's. Thats where you have to be careful under 13-6.

Other then that... I agree completely with swing south. It is much less painful this time of year, and only a few hours longer. Just remember that I-44 is a toll road in Oklahoma, but not much for a car. If you wanted to skip it, swing south at Joplin on US78?, down I-540 through Fayetteville, AR and pick up I-40 in Ft. Smith. That's for adventure of course, but its a real pretty drive. NW Arkansas is pretty breathtaking IMOP.

Tom
    WC5B/
    18 Wheeler Mobile.

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Do they still have restrictions on the Hoover dam about what you can drive across or have as cargo?

According to This website somebody will be wanting to look in the truck.......

Rege

6. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Cars and RVs should be fine, but there is still a ban on Semi's since 9/11.

7. K4JC

K4JC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, NO trucks, including rental trucks, are allowed across Hoover Dam. I had to use the I40-AZ68-NV163-US95 route to Las Vegas many times when I was on the road!

8. WC5B

WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda scary really. If its that strict, it makes you think they may have had a lead or something. World is nutz lately.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe not a lead, just a premonition. An explosion on the dam could do some serious damage!

10. KB5SXC

KB5SXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I-80 East Coast to the West.

Good choice, Ohio, and the Gary, IN./Chicago, IL areas are a bit of a drag. But all in all I-80 is a Good Drive, Drove it many time in a Big Rig, Freightliner and Mack. Off Hand, I don't remember anything under 14 ft. of Clearance on that route. And the Laptop that I have all of my Route programs on is out of juice, and the charger is belly up. I always scheduled my runs to sleep before Chicago Area, and to pass throught that section of 80 at around 01:00 AM. Makes for the fewest traffic tie-ups which can be a Bear in that section of 80. I would recommend You get a Rand-McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. Plus a Truck Stop Guide. Both of these might be found online or at a larger Truck Stop. Flying J, Petro, T/A, usually decent Truck Stops. Run I-80 to Salt Lake City, I-15 to Las Vegas.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.