Interpreting DXMAPS.COM

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA6IBM, May 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

So a few days ago, I posted about the 10 meter band being open this week, or actually, occasionally open

So I have been looking at DXMAPS and it looks like 10 meters is crazy open in Europe. But I saw the same thing yesterday and as the gray line moved to North America I didnt hear any openings at all. Looking at reverse beacon, it appears that CW activity is monstrous in Europe, as there is only a couple of beacons showing up, and it refreshes with new activity every couple of minutes. Is it me or why is there no activity in North America?

[​IMG]

2. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The red lines you are looking at are Sporadic E activity. There does at times seem to be Sporadic E propagation in Europe when there is none in the US. 10 Meters has been open in the US via Sporadic E the past couple days as well as 6 meters. There may also be more activity on different modes in Europe. You can set up DXMaps to see what you want, modes, propagation types, times (eg only last 15 minutes).

KA6IBM likes this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DXMaps just listens to the DX cluster and displays spots graphically. It's kinda clever. It defaults to showing all modes and all propagation types, and all spots regardless of how old. There are menu options at the top that modify that.

Select the modes you want here

modes.png

Likewise, there are options including limiting the display to spots within the last 15 minutes, likely a better indication of how the band is right now.

options.png

There will be a big difference depending on how it's set up.

Here's my 6m display right now of phone only spots

spots1.PNG

And here's the same time showing the digital modes

spots2.PNG

Lots of options. Explore the menus.

Attached Files:

KA6IBM, WA3GWK and W1TRY like this.
  4. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

So I have been following this all day. looking at reverse beacon, one can see that activity in Europe is dying rapidly. DXMAPS bears this out

[​IMG]

But it will be dark in three hours in North America and still very little activity

[​IMG]

God only likes Europe

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Take EA1NL out of that first shot and Europe looks a lot emptier!
    I just worked him on 10 with a good sig.