ad: SDRKits-1

Internet speed for video streaming with Roku

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N9LCD, Oct 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If your connection can maintain over 3 Mbps steadily, you should get adequate service (as good as ATSC) from modern streaming services. Back when h264 was state of the art, good 1080p streams would be at least 8Mbps.

I have a dedicated fiber 50x50 connection. With all of that always available, Netflix streams to my Roku with VP9 at just over 3Mbps for excellent 1080p video. 4K tops out at a little under 10Mbps.

If Roku ever comes out with a device that supports AV1, the values will fall further.

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a netflix speed test, fast.com. But I don't put too much faith in it. The Roku device also has a test area in the settings. I recently went to a TMobile ISP, we're 11 miles from the tower and get anywhere from 5 to 20MBps down. It seems plenty good for HD on one TV. We never use a combination of devices so can't speak to that.

We used to have Hughes satellite, the latency was so bad it took forever for pages to load, the speed was not bad at 30MBps but during the weekends it would get down in the 100s of Kbps, that with the 1s latency was a killer. I'm so glad to be rid of that satellite stuff. If you have cable you should be getting much better than 3-4MBps. https://www.lifewire.com/internet-speed-requirements-for-movie-viewing-1847401