Internet speed for video streaming with Roku

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N9LCD, Oct 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

We're hopefully getting ready to cut the cable on Comcast/Xfinity and go to OTA tv and video streaming.

We're thinking of using Roku boxes for our two sets. I just ran several internet speed checks using different software. Our "internet speed" is about 3.7 Mbps.

QUESTIONS:

Is our internet speed high enough for worst case operations with two TV's connected through Roku and two computers online?

What's the minimum internet speed, ping and latency for streaming video with WiFi?

Thanks & 73!

N9LCD

2. K1DJE

K1DJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Best I can tell you is "maybe". We just put in Roku and are very disappointed with it. Our internet is supposed to be 50Mbs, but in reality right now it's between 11 and 16 Mbs. Roku spends a lot of time buffering instead of actually playing, and with two TVs on at the same time it becomes very frustrating. Local ISP is "working" on the speed issue, but at a snail's pace.

Tip: Don't waste money on the cheap Roku. It doesn't record for later playback. We got two of the Roku "Sticks" from our ISP and they do record. Got two cheaper ones from Amazon, and while they perform as well as the more expensive units, they don't record.

Also, if you do get Roku, you'll want to go into the system setup and turn off the "Bandwidth Saver". That seems to help with the buffering problem at slow internet speed.

GL es 73
    Dave - K1DJE

3. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Different streams have different bitrates. A lot of good looking HD 1080 streams come in around 7mbps, standard def is usually under 1.5.

I don't think you stand a chance, honestly.

K7GQ likes this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

GERALD,

HOLD EVERYTHING.......... DON'T CUT THE CABLE.

NOW DAYS THE INTERNET IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT WORLD WITH ALOT OF FOLKS
    WORKING FROM HOME / GRADE SCHOOL / HIGH SCHOOL / COLLEGE STUDENTS DOING
    REMOTE LEARNING OVER THE INTERNET.

PRESENTLY, THE INTERNET IS A "PIG IN THE POKE"

AT TIMES MY COMCAST / XFINITY GO INTO A
    "STALL & CRAWL" MODE.

I HAVE CALLED MY SERVICE PROVIDER MANY TIMES TO

"PUT MORE FIRE IN THE WIRE"

911 CARTOON GRAPHIC.jpg

THEY SAID THE NEXT TIME I CALL
    THEY ARE GOING TO REPORT ME
    TO 911 AND HAVE ME ARRESTED.
    ....................hihihihi...........

73 & HAVE FUN AND DON'T CUT THE CABLE.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a little Roku device and my wireless internet connection runs 3-6Mbps and then to the TV via wifi. Its a small outfit and there's not a heavy prime-time load to where it drops out or bogs down like so many do even with greater speed. Works fine but I'm not doing HDTV. Wifey can be in the living room watching Netflix and yakking on What'sUp and it still doesn't bog down.
    I'd suggest you try one of the little cheapo devices (I think mine was ~$30) and try it before investing in the fancier equipment.

K1LKP likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you would be doing good, If only 1 TV at a time is using HD bandwidth.

Reducing the resolution can help a lot, But we are spoiled and want our HDTV.

7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's easy enough to test before you buy anything. Got two WiFi devices (phone, laptop, pc, etc)? Try two live streams simultaneously. Two youtubes or two news channels, like newsmaxtv.com and thefirsttv.com, or whatever. Of course, a quick check won't fully answer your question. Leave them streaming throughout the day. Check during busy internet times, like the beginning of business hours, lunch time, dinner time and prime time.

If that works to your satisfaction, you have your answer.

KP4SX likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Now a days the speed is all over the place.

They have my upload and download speed about the same.

I guess that was needed for everyone working and going to school from home, Using 2 way video.

9. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition to what everyone else said also in most cases the "speed tests" are garbage. The ISPs usually either optimize the connection or just downright copy the site to their local Akamai servers and so you aren't even testing the "inter" part of the internet at all. And while they claim they don't throttle video streams they sure as heck don't optimize them.

My advice would be if you do this is just plan on downloading the content for later viewing or just watch at a lower resolution.

Something else to check with is that locally Comcast took over the TW service a few years ago they actually started upgrading their service. But the upgrade was not fully compatible with the older equipment. The older items mostly worked, but not much faster than before. We were one of those that "mostly" didn't cover. After battling with problems one of the tier 2 techs let slip on purpose about this issue and said to go to one of their outlets and say you need a premises equipment replacement. This was done very easily with no questions at the retail center. This resulted in a substantial improvement in both speed and reliability.

The impression I took away is that they don't want to pay to replace everyone's equipment at once but if you go and ask they will give you the better router. You might want to call your local office and see whether there is better equipment available that could help the speed.

10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

The obvious answer to that is don't use a speed test provided by your ISP. The popular one seems to be https://www.speedtest.net. I've been doing a lot of testing lately with a VPN and it seems to be pretty good. https://netspeed.speedtestcustom.com looks like "private label" version of the same thing run by the same company Ookla but without the ads. If you search Google for speedtestcustom.com you'll find numerous *.speedtestcustom.com sites.