International Morse Code

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by Guest, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Outdated: No longer current. Outmoded.

Outmoded: Not being in style.
                   No longer acceptable or usable.

Antiquated: Obsolete.
                    Being out of style or fashion.
                    Advanced in age.

There they are, no longer current, out of style and the big one, no longer acceptable or usable.

I view the issue of no longer acceptable or usable to be 100% Horse-Sh-t.
    Folks just don't want to accept it as a mode of communications nor usable. It is acceptable by amateurs and is very usable.

Todays prospective individuals that "want" to be an amateur radio operator, in my believe, are using the no longer acceptable or usable method as an excuse.

Who has stated, in the amateur radio service, Morse Code is no longer acceptable ? Nor usable here, in the United States ?

Hams current today met the requirements set forth by the FCC, however, it seems to me that the, I want to be and entry class have some difficulty with requirements and to advance themselves upwards, "MORSE CODE."

Has the FCC stated, the Morse code is unacceptable or not usable ? Absolutely not. Outdated ? Absolutely not. Any of the above definitions ? Absolutely not.

As an Advanced licensee, our class is in the middle once again. The third time I fullfilled the written requirement and made the grade, upward, why can't you ?

People say, it's no longer acceptable.
    People say, it's not usable.
    People say, it's not being in style.
    People say, it's no longer current.
    People say, it's out of fashion.
    People say. it's obsolete.

Tell me why and others that read qrz.com, why does someone that desires to become an amateur radio operate complain about the requirements ?
    Is it I can't?
    Is it I won't and wait till the requirement suits me?
    Is it I don't want to?

If you can't fullfill the requirements put in front of you by the FCC, you just do not want to be an amateur radio operator. Lack of discipline, fortitude and learning techniques.

The Morse requirement, such as it is, will not be withdrawn in the United States for quite along time, if in fact, it is ever withdrawn. Play the waiting game, complain about its not being usable or whatever, just find excuses.

I had the desire to become an amateur, worked for it, failed several times, still worked and worked for it, then one nasty morning made it, perserverance. I did not complain, I was disappointed yet strived and here I am today in this newer type society, can't, won't, don't like it, I'll never use it, why CW. IT'S A REQUIREMENT TO BE MET, REQUIRED BY THE FCC.

That dead Horse has risen once again and shall remain for years to come.
    Let the flame-throwers begin.

2. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

You obviously don't read much on this subject.

Here are some arguments that dispell your assertions. Might I humbly suggest you read the entire FFC record at the url I have supplied.

Quote from the FCC

"The amateur service is one of the radio communication services authorized by the Radio Regulations and was one of the first non-government communication services. Regulation of the amateur service in the United States dates from the early 1900's as a result of the U.S. Navy's concern about interference to its stations and its desire to be able to order amateur radio stations off the air in the event of war.  As part of this regulation, proficiency in Morse code was mandated to ensure that amateur radio operators could recognize and avoid interference with government and commercial stations as well as maritime distress messages, and to ensure that the U.S. Navy could communicate government orders to amateur radio operators. This mandated telegraphy proficiency was continued by the Federal Radio Commission and then by the Federal Communications Commission. Telegraphy proficiency remains one of the examination elements that, by international treaty, an examinee must pass to obtain an amateur service operator license that authorizes operating privileges in the portion of the radio spectrum below 30 MHz.

Background. In the early days of radio, communication by radiotelegraphy was the primary means used to exchange messages between radio operators at all radio stations, including amateur radio stations. Proficiency in telegraphy using the Morse code was mandated to ensure that operators of amateur radio stations would not cause interference to Government and commercial stations and that amateur radio stations would be able to stay clear of maritime distress messages.

Decision. We have considered the comments on this issue and conclude that the public interest will best be served by reducing the telegraphy examination requirement to the minimum requirement that we have found that meets the Radio Regulations and that has been accepted as proving that the control operator of a station can ensure the proper operation of that station."

I should point out that those "Radio Regulations" mentioned above as the sole reason for the current testing may well have been removed as we debate this issue.

These exerpts form the 1998 reductions from 13/20 to 5WPM testing

You might read the entire record to decide how in the future you would like to state your position on retaining some form of code testing. This is a great place to learn about what won't work.

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Orders/1999/fcc99412.txt

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Well said Fred.

If I may add. As the International community voted to drop morse as a requiment, then I suppose they all found morse Obsolete as part of the agreement. Fred pointed out the reasons and concerns to why the requirement was set in place and as we have advanced in communication in the last 100 years have found it no longer a concern as morse is defunct and no longer used, other abviously more faster and reliable modes have been adopted. So yes in that context morse is Obsolete.
    The only people to carry on with it are amateurs.
    Wonder how long it will take to die now the shot has been fired. Ask yourself how long CW will last if all the world follow the swiss and UK in dropping the morse and stop forceing people to learn it.
    You should concern yourself in keeping CW learning clubs open and more inviting to the young and new Amateures to pass it on instead of showing how aggressive and abusive you can be.

I am still learning morse. I am upto 13wpm. I do it because I like to and not because I was made to learn it.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Morse code is no longer used, not my words.

I'm too abusive and aggressive, not my words.

Whether you are attempting to learn the Morse code or not shall no longer have any affect on me, my words.

Quantity is foremost in this new age.

Last, I suppose RTTY & AM shall be next to go.

AR

5. KD5WBJ

KD5WBJ Banned

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k7pig @ July 28 2003,11:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Last, I suppose RTTY &amp; AM shall be next to go.

AR[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Maybe not,however anything that requires any effort will be.
    Mike

6. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k7pig @ July 28 2003,11:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm too abusive and aggressive, not my words.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You feel as though this statement was pointed towards you? Wonder why.

Enjoy your retirement, another 35 years before mine. I guess you and most morse advocates will be a memory by then. Closed up in the vault of history. Enjoy it while you can I say. Old man [​IMG]

7. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Well, I might as well jump in on this &quot;dead horse&quot; thread, since, obviously, there is always another thought or point that can be made in the context of the previous posts in the thread. A lot of the stuff IS repitition, but the order in which the discussion ebbs and flows is always a bit different. OK, here goes:

We are quickly sliding down the back side of the Sunspot Cycle. This means that the higher frequencies are going to be dead, dead, dead, and the lower frequencies are going to offer weak to almost no propagation for long periods at a time. This past weekend was an example of this. 20 meters seemed to be deader than a doornail, but &quot;Wait, what's that I hear ? Yes, its a CW station, and there's another and another ! &quot; On a band that seemed to be almost completely dead, the CW operators were still finding stations to talk to.

I firmly believe that as long as people are out there that are willing to try EVERY mode of communication possible in order to make a contact, that CW will NEVER die! The simple reason for this is that CW can and does get through when almost no other mode will !

I don't care what your opinion is about operating CW or the &quot;Code/NOCode issue&quot;. A FACT is a FACT

Until the F.C.C. specifically bans code from the conventional Amateur bands, ( and we MUST prevent this from EVER happening ! ) CW will always have a place in The Amateur Radio Service.

I'll get down off the soap box, now. I feel a lot better ! [​IMG]

73 from Jim AG3Y

8. Guest

Guest Guest

KD5WBG, Mike, I forgot effort, yes, very good.
    And, Jim, AG3Y now CW is just too, too hard, too, too much effort.
    USA, retain the CW requirement and raise the orginal speeds; 5, 13 and 20 wpm.

9. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's take an inventory here. What equipment and skills can you bring to a truly dire emergency situation?

The latest Techno-Wiz 5000 with built-in AC supply? Useless without an ample generator.

The shack PC? Useless without an ample generator.

A laptop to operate digital modes? Useful as long as the battery holds out and you have a rig that draws very low current, or you have an incredible supply of well maintained batteries or an ample generator.

Internet connection for Echolink? Useless.

The cellphone. Don't be ridiculous.

The local repeater? See above.

A 6 element yagi at 90 feet? Yeah, that'll be easy to take down and take to the site it's needed.

So, where does that leave us? Hmmmm . . .

How about a small, low current draw transceiver, some wire, a small tuner, one well-maintained battery (or more) and a key or paddles? You could operate for days - perhaps weeks.

Damn, too bad you don't know international Morse code!

Yeah, that's really gonna impress the officials who were depending on you as their last option!

10. 9V1VV

9V1VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no, not this again. *Yawn*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.