ad: ProAudio-1

Intermediate Receive Signal Drop-out

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K4SRF, Sep 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K4SRF

K4SRF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is going to be hard to explain, but I'll give it a good try.

On only one UHF frequency, and with only one operator, I am experiencing a momentary signal drop when he transmits. The signal is coming in strong and then his transmission drops suddenly and momentarily, not fades out, but drops completely for a couple of seconds and then returns just as strong as before. It lasts a few seconds and then the drop-off / return repeats. All other UHF/VHF signals come in fine and there is only an issue with this one frequency.

Now for the technical facts.

This is happening only on my mobile unit, which is an Anytone 578. As my antenna, I have a Diamond NR770HBNMO. I have tested this antenna on my antenna analyzer and it tests perfectly fine. This drop off issue does NOT happen on my HT, or my base unit for the same frequency and operator. I have compared the settings on all three devices for this frequency and all settings are identical. On my mobile, I have set my squelch to 1, but this doesn't resolve the issue.

The operator, (on his base station) states that he can hear me very well and that my transmission to him is not breaking off or dropping out at all. Others also state that this particular operator's transmission is not dropping out on them either, and they can hear me just fine, as I too hear them without any issues.

Now, this is a statewide UHF network, SARnet, where all 30+ SARnet repeaters are linked via microwave. I am about 25 miles from the nearest repeater, but again, this doesn't seem to be an issue as I can connect via my HT and base station. It does not seem to be a location issue as this drop-off can occur anywhere in my area and does not seem to be a localized issue, (not a 'dead-zone' issue.)

The operator is transmitting from a county about 230 miles away off that local repeater, but as said, all SARnet repeaters are microwave linked, so this isn't an issue either.

Since all comms are set identical for this frequency, I am starting to wonder if it is an issue with the radio but have no real way of checking. Other local operators cannot seem to find the source of the problem as well.

Does anyone have any suggestion(s) as to what I might check that I may have overlooked?

2. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't really match your description , but the most common reason for repetitive drop out is "priority channel" is set on and the radio keeps going over to the priority channel..

WA7ARK and KA0HCP like this.
  3. K4SRF

I agree, however, this radio, (Icom IC 7100) does not have a "priority channel" feature, though it does have a "priority zone" feature. I checked this and to see if any channel scanning features were set, but there is nothing set that could cause this.

4. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it have 2 types of squelch?
    Run all un-squelched and see what it does.

5. K4SRF

The squelch range is from 0 to 4, and I have tried it off. Of course, I get nothing but static until transmit occurs, the the same issue arises.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you using DMR ?

7. K4SRF

No. The SARnet is 100% analog.

8. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some local RF signal, not related to anything you are doing, interfering with your receiver?

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Like a Squirrel that does not like a certain operator.

We have Squirrels here every now and then.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In your first post you wrote it only happens with your mobile rig, an Anytone 578.

Here you write the rig is an IC-7100.

Which is it?

KA9JLM likes this.