Interference with Weather Station?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K1ACX, Jan 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1ACX

K1ACX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey guys, I am new to this hobby and very glad to be here. There is lots of great information here.

my question relates to my tempest WeatherStation and my transmitting antenna on the roof of my house. The tempest WeatherStation is a new Wi-Fi station that sends a signal wirelessly to a hub inside your house via Bluetooth. Right now, I am using a diamond dual band antenna mounted on the roof, close to the WeatherStation.

Twice in the last month after transmitting for a decent amount of time using just 5 W, the weather station has stopped reporting data to the hub inside the house. I have to go on the roof and bring the WeatherStation in and reconnect it to the hub in the house, and then it starts working again fine. This never happened before putting the antenna on the roof. I’m thinking I will have to relocate either the antenna or the WeatherStation, but I didn’t know what your thoughts were on what kind of interference could be caused by transmitting close to the weather station. Thanks in advance!

2. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Separate the antennas more.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes--RF from your transmitter is likely getting into the weather station remote sending unit. As HWD said, separate the antennas. My WX remote sending unit is 50 feet away from the closest antenna and even 700 watts of output from my transmitter does not bother it

N0TZU likes this.
  4. K1ACX

K1ACX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you. This makes sense. I was hoping to be able to use the same rooftop mast for the antenna and the weather station. Maybe that's not in the cards....

5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Vertical separation counts for a lot, if that mast is long enough...

6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There may be a convenient way to install a high-pass filter on the antenna for the weather station, and there may not. But it probably bears looking into.

It is common in these cases for one step to improve the situation slightly; a second one to improve it more; etc. In the end it is often necessary to take several steps, like installing a high-pass filter and re-orienting both antennas. Keeping full and careful notes is imperative in these cases to preserve one's sanity!

7. KD7RF

KD7RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the brand/model of your 5W transceiver? Do you have access to another radio for testing?

My experience has been with Davis VantagePro2 wireless and Peet Bros wired setups. These systems report via APRS using 65W Icom/50W Byonics radios to Comet GP1/Hustler G6-270R antennas on the same tripod/mast with the weather stations. No issues, but of course APRS is a short RF burst.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is kind of cool that you can change the weather. :)