Interference on smart TV

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by G0VQY, Nov 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

I took my beam down at the end of December for maintenance and for various reasons it didn't go back up until October. In the meantime, my mother who lives here with me put in a new Smart T.V by JVC. Ever since the antenna has gone back up she is experiencing problems with interference on a television. I'm wondering whether it's down to the television being a smart TV. I'm wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems?

2. KM4BLG

KM4BLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really sure if this is the best topic to put this in, but I will attempt to answer anyway.

When you say "interference on the TV", are you referring to general electrical interference, or do you have over-the-air television and it is interfering with your reception?

Also, what changes did you make to your antenna? Even a minor change can cause the issue.

Although I really can't say without more info, I have two theories as to what might be happening here.

If it is a problem with over-the-air TV. It could be that the TV doesn't have as good of a receiver. (Different sensitivity, not as good filtering, etc) The interference could have been there all along, but the new TV is just more "touchy" and doesn't respond to it as well. This would make sense as smart TVs are requiring more and more circuitry in a smaller enclosure, thus making more failure points and lower quality.

If it is a general electrical interference issue, I would still consider the smart TV's circuitry. Although, the more plausible explanation would be a minor change in the antenna system (maybe even very minute and unintentional). It could be something as simple as slightly changing how it is mounted, it could have been a change to the coax (shortened, nicked, etc)

This is not my strongest subject area, so it is probably worth asking someone who knows more than I do, but I thought I would throw a couple of ideas around.