Interferance that goes beyond blocking the ham stuff

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC7YRA, May 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Howdy all,

Okay, not sure where to go with this. Last night, this noise began which completely wipes out 60-2 meters. Pulsatile, constant, but not always regular (meaning the timing of each pulse can vary in duration and frequency). Pilot buddy said he can hear it quite a distance away, so whatever it is, it's BAD.

It isn't in my house (killed power and ran a battery rig). Walking around the neighborhood with an FT-818 I kinda narrowed it down to an area a couple blocks from me.

I know the FCC doesn't care much about hams getting interfered with, but maybe the airband stuff will get their attention. And it would subsequently solve my problem.

Hopefully the little video recording has attached correctly.

[​IMG]

2. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably a neighbor's multi colored led light string. My daughter had that in her bedroom. It was horrible. We had to work out a deal so she would use them when I was on the radio.
    I was so happy when the lights died after 6 months.

3. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the duration of and pause between the RFI bursts consistant?

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It might, but it would almost certainly need to come from a pilot, a controller, or someone with an FAA rating of some kind, who could confirm to FCC that the problem is interfering with actual communications related to safety of air navigation or ground operations.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just listening to the YT on cheap speakers, it sounds like the pulse frequency is 60 or 120Hz.

If you record a sample on your PC, can you open the WAV file in Audacity or similar, and look at the waveform to confirm the frequency of the pulses?

6. KC7YRA

It is close but certainly not constant pause duration. You can hear it with the naked ear if you sit a focus on it, but it's pretty close

7. KC7YRA

Boy, I would sure love to do that. But apparently I'm too incompetent to use Audacity LOL. I have a recording but darn if I know what to do with it.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a suggestion:

If your pilot buddy says it's bad enough and consistent enough to be causing interference to aircraft communications, then perhaps he should contact FSS by phone and ask how to make a report of it. Or contact Denver Center by phone, since it's their territory and there's no tower at Laramie.

9. KC7YRA

That's what I told him to do, so we'll see what happens. I don't know much about our air system here (other than listening to Denver Center), but I thought our tiny airport had a tower. Totally possible that it doesn't. My buddy is a lifeflight pilot and we are in the approach to the hospital helipad. He says that's when it was getting him earlier.

*sigh* I had a real quite background until this LOL. Hopefully it is just a neighbor and I can replace/repair/unplug whatever the offending device is.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope it doesn't get any worse.