Interesting Tube Finds

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by AC0OB, Jun 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I was at a Hamfest this weekend in Kansas and found the following tubes being sold from an estate. Tubes were in original cartons and packing:

1. QTY. 1, Taylor TZ-24/DA41

2. QTY. 2, Eimac 3C24/VT204

Taylor TZ40.jpg

3C24 VT204 Eimac.jpg

This guy has done some curve tracing on the Taylor;

http://www.dos4ever.com/uTracer3/uTracer3_pag6.html#TZ40

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

3C24 VT204 Eimac_crop0.jpg I think the 3C24 is the same as the 24G, my first xmitting tube. Beautiful in its simplicity.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Triodes, about the same power level as an 807.

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a Taylor T155 I found at the Dayton Hamvention. I'd like to find another one like it. Taylor_T155 - 1.jpg

N2EY and AF6LJ like this.
  5. W7TFO

W7TFO Subscriber QRZ Page

Every Taylor 155 I've come across was either dead or gassy.

So gassy in fact, that my technique for ion-pumping the gas to inert state didn't work.

But I'll save you the next one I get. Taylor gave up on the 'thin-wall' plate stuff when RCA fielded the 810 and 8000 triodes.

73DG

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. W7TFO

W7TFO Subscriber QRZ Page

That top Taylor is a TZ-40. A very good little triode.

73DG

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Good catch Tom and on the carton it is listed as 3C24 and 24G, and on the envelope it also says VT204.

Phil

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's too bad. I've only done a crude filament emission test so far.

I finished reading the Eimac file. My 40 year old Kenmore microwave oven (which has a 1 KV power supply and must weigh around 70 lbs) has a Litton magnetron in it.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Notice the plate and grid caps, shaped with the expansion below the cap part so you can use a screwdriver to get leverage against the connector body to pry the connectors off if necessary, without the risk of pulling the cap loose from the tube, sometimes even breaking the glass envelope.

Tubes with a simple cylindrical metal cap and no expansion at the base, combined with those crappy ceramic-covered pull-off plate and grid caps, are a disaster waiting to happen.

N2EY and (deleted member) like this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wondered why they did the caps with the extra umbrellas and concluded (guessed) that it had to do with the metal -- glass seal and expansion. T155 anode is carbon. It will be a bummer if it is gassy