Interesting tones on 20m

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8SAN, Dec 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8SAN

N8SAN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not saying it's aliens....but it's aliens.

I hear these tones almost every morning. I could say EVERY morning but I don't want to make it an absolute.
    They go away by maybe 10am local time.
    I'm close to a water tower and is the only thing I can think of that would might be sending out some communication, but I highly doubt it would tx on or around 20m band. I also don't hear it on any other band. I have a Mosley Tribander, so only resonant on 20/15/10. But I don't hear it on any of those.
    I can turn my antenna away from the tower and they lose strength, but never go away. Obviously there could be a lot of other things from that direction that could be making those signals.
    This was 6:45am, the only thing on in the house at that time was the coffee pot.

Each tone is 61khz up from the previous. Tones from 14.029 to 14.334
    871.3hz; 971.8hz; 848.1hz; 902.3hz; 975.9hz; 1033.9hz

Any thoughts?
    Ryan

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

My first thought is that you are seeing leakage from an Ethernet cable, but I wouldn't expect that to turn on/off on a regular schedule.

The fact that you can't turn your beam to a heading that nulls it out completely hints that it is close and below your beam, e.g., in your house or a neighbor's house.

N0TZU and KD4IEM like this.
  3. N8SAN

I agree about it being close as well. That's why I put that piece of info in there.
    The water tower is 2,200 feet away.

If it was Ethernet, wouldn't it show up on other bands? I mean 14mHz isn't a harmonic of anything in particular. And being that close I wouldn't think it would matter. Not in the least to your point about it being "scheduled".
    Pretty interesting; at least to me!

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Check and see if you have anything on these frequencies: It looks like you have 14.029 which is one of this group.

You may also find birdies on:
    • 3,511 kHz • 21,052 kHz • 28,288 kHz
    • 10,106 kHz • 28,014 kHz • 28,319 kHz
    • 10,122 kHz • 28,105 kHz • 28,350 kHz
    • 14,030 kHz • 28,181 kHz • 28,380 kHz

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not convinced it's Ethernet -- it's just when I see a pattern of carriers like that, it's almost always Ethernet, at least at my house. You can confirm it by running some traffic over the offending cable, and watching the carriers "modulate."

It could be any kind of switching device. A power supply is a good suspect, especially since you see a time-of-day pattern. So something that comes on at night, and then shuts down by 10AM would be a good candidate. Also, a solar-powered device that starts charging at sunup, and is done by 10AM would be a good suspect.

The only way to know is to do the standard RFI location sequence. I.e., power off your entire house to make sure it's not your house, and after that, use direction-finding techniques with a small loop or dipole antenna, to figure out where it is coming from.

NL7W and N0TZU like this.
  6. N8SAN

Oh ok! I will. Thank you.

Excellent tips and info!

I'll be interested to check those other frequencies.

KD4IEM likes this.
  7. N0KEW

N0KEW Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw someone sending encrypted PGP messages once. Obviously it was the pre invasion planning.

N8SAN likes this.
  8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have something very similar on 20 meters. In my case it's some kind of equipment being used by a manufacturer about a block from me.

9. N8SAN

Interesting.
    I don't think I'll ever really figure it out, unless it is coming from my own house. But would be cool to know.

10. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The scheduled and consitient time it appears is a good clue. Look for something on a timer... perhaps a sprinkler timer to water a lawn. It took me forever to finally realize the drop in water pressure for five minutes every other weekday at 6:00am!
    I often find various intermittent signals that QRM various different bands at various times of day. Sometimes its 15 mtrs other times 40. Lately been seeing exact same thing on 10 mtrs. Much the same way you can turn the beam, my interference similiarly comes from various different directions. I have been fortunate not to recieve this on 20mtrs which is my main band of operation . But yes the other bands and mostly during the day. Perhaps solar chargers and inverters.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018