Interesting thread on Verizon community board re: amateur radio interference

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comcast? I'm getting 50 down and 13 up with the second tier package. Kills me that you need to sign up for "packages" instead of individual channels! I use their cell phone service too; with the phone, I only pay $20.00. No other company can touch that.

de NK2U

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering HughesNet’s reputation, coupled with the way the Nutting family runs the Pirates, it wouldn’t surprise me!

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong airline!!

The airline in question finally upgraded their line speed from 3 Mbps to 15 Mbps. All of a sudden, their VOIP phones have no issues, and they aren’t seeing time-out issues due to bandwidth. Imagine that!

N2EY likes this.
  4. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a kick out of this one:

I checked the FCC website and licenses for my area, and in fact quite a few of them have been cancelled. The ham operator license is a privilege, not a right, and the FCC has canceled a number licenses in my area due to enforcement actions. Consumers do have a right to receive OTA TV broadcasts, telephone calls, wireless services and other communications without interference from a ham operator. If the ham operator is interfering with access to these services, their license can be canceled. The operator, especially if they are a non-commercial operator is probably not operating within FCC rules if their emissions are powerful enough to disrupt communications lines within your home or apartment...…….

Sheeeshhh...

5. KB7NRN

KB7NRN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio interference...

Back in the '70s all five TV stations in my home town were VHF... So I goes and build me a little VHF oscillator that could be tuned from 54-210 mhz. My bedroom was upstairs between the TV downstairs and the antenna on the roof. Worked great! When tuned to what ever channel was on the TV there would be white and black bars across the screen as the little oscillator signal beat against the TV station signal... Was lots of fun... And the folks blamed the Ham radio operator two houses to the south and/or the CBer next to us. :cool::)

The oscillator was about the same size as the 9v battery powering it. I had it neatly hid under the mattress with a fine wire antenna run around the inside of my bed frame. When I thought I was being treated un fair, well, that's when the fun began! The folks and sibling never knew till long after I had moved away...

The moral of the story is: Ham radio can cause interference but not all interference is caused by ham radio.

N3AB, KX4O and K8HIT like this.