Interesting thread on Verizon community board re: amateur radio interference

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, the phone co. has basically admitted, finally, that they throttle our connection if they think we're "overusing" it. :mad:
    It's a freaking 1.5 Mbits per sec connection!

2. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you expect for American Airlines...

3. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Try a larger value resistance initially, 10k or 6.8k, and work down. Be mindful of the power rating: 1/2 watt for these values, 1-watt for smaller.

N1OOQ likes this.
  4. N1OOQ

10k now in place. It now measures 35V across the line, and we have dial tone and DSL. I will report back in a few days!

WZ7U likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I know I am a bit late to the thread.

I upgraded to SPECTRUM (Was Time Warner Cable) 400Mbs service. According to the speed test, my speed sometimes reaches a whopping 5 Mbs. Yes, that is 5Mbs.

It takes about 6 hours to watch a movie on NetFlix. Every minute or so I get "LOADING"...

Gotta love cable providers...

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Satellite is incredibly slow. I tried Dish for about a year. The installer warned me not to even try to stream NetFlix. He admitted satellite was not nearly fast enough for streaming.

I have to admire the guy for being upfront and truthful.

What he said was true. It was not possible to stream NetFlix. I got rid of Dish Network as soon as the contract expired.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a problem there and you should call them.
    I use a wireless provider who caps at 3 Mbps. No problem at all watching movies with no buffering.

KX4O likes this.
  8. N1OOQ

Yah, likewise here at 1.5 Mbps. No HD, of course. Maybe they're throttling you.

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

My speed is 100Mbps per fast.com so it's half-fast! :)

10. N1OOQ

Ok, so I've had a 10k resistor across our DSL line for a few days, pulling about 3 ma out of it continuously. This does seem to help... For instance, while streaming, it will drop out for maybe 1/2 second at a time, instead of just losing the connection completely. Now when it does drop, it drops hard and we don't see it back for a while.

Anyway, we recently discovered that the Consolidated Comms technicians who were assigned to come and fix this were not showing up, lying about it, and charging us for this convenience. So we will be going to satellite or cell as soon as possible. They haven't left us with much choice.