Interesting thread on Verizon community board re: amateur radio interference

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm not at that computer now (for apples to apples speed test) but it's not great on upload.... they all seem to limit upload speed - guess it's to make it hard for someone to "compete" with them and offer streaming services and such. Just my wild guess - it's always been "download is way faster than upload"

But interestingly, the laptop I ran that "speed test" on has a 1-Gig WiFi card, but only a 100-Meg hardwire-NIC card! So I only get those speeds on WiFi. Pretty counterintuitive - but the Wave Broadband guy told me that's pretty common - super fast WiFi but slow (read: inexpensive) hard-wire NIC for the RJ-45 connector. If I do the same test on the hard-wire connection, I get exactly 100m - not the 260-300 I get on WiFI. Weird.

Who knew that moving out out of the city to the country, I'd have "fiber to the door and faster internet than ever" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WR2E likes this.
  2. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

For DSL I had the Dlink 2750b modem (T1 hardware version). As supplied by VZ it was loaded with the no-frills firmware that wouldn't even allow you to see your noise margin, let alone do interesting things that the stock modem was capable of. But you can flash the modem with the factory firmware from the Australian company site to open up its full capability. (I used the AU_3.06 firmware version, but that was several years ago.)

With the enabled modem you can access the event log and run line monitoring software available on the web for various chipsets (the 2750b used the Broadcom chipset, I believe). I ran DSLstats monitoring software. This shows various comprehensive connection stats, bit-loading, upstream/downstream SNR margins over time, etc. (See example attached.)

As for the resistor across the line... If you can hear any static on the line when you lift the receiver, even if temporary, there is probably a poor terminal connection somewhere between you and the central office. The static may clear if you "flash the hook" a few times. That's because current flows through the line only when you lift the receiver and this current temporarily "repairs" a poor or oxidized terminal connection that is causing the noise. But when the receiver is on the hook there is no appreciable current and your DSL modem has to deal with the noise.

You can provide a continuous "sealing" current on the line by placing a small value resistor across it. A resistance value that will draw around 20 or 30 ma (based upon the particular line voltage) would work for starters. The current can be increased by using a smaller value resistor. However, too much current in the line will be like lifting the receiver off the hook-- your phone won't ring on incoming calls, etc.

To complicate matters the phone company may be using software that will automatically reduce your provisioned speed if it sees performance problems. Your speed may still be capped for a period of time even after you have improved the noise margins.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    N1OOQ likes this.
  3. N7NIT

N7NIT Ham Member QRZ Page

We have Centurylink and I'm currently at this moment getting about 39Mbps on the download and 4.5Mbps on the upload.

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting back to the original post. Read all of the replies on the Verizon forum and find nothing that unusual when it comes to comments by the average citizen who knows little or nothing about the subject matter.

5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever anybody does, don't get Hughes Net! They wear eye patches!

N3AB likes this.
  6. KN4DS

KN4DS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have any issues with my Windstream DSL when I transmit.

On speed tests, I get 95-105 mb/sec down, 18-20 mb/sec up. Since I'm paying for 100/20, I'm satisfied.

I'll point out that there is Cat 6 cabling running from the network interface to my jack, and that's it, no other jacks, no other wiring. No phone connected, either.

7. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hughes Net is run by a bunch of Pirates?

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

8. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes they are. Worst service I've ever had. When my contract is up this February it will be off and they can come and get their dish, modem, and any cable they claim to own. I live in a rural area with no hi-speed connectivity. I thought Hughes net would be the answer. Yes you can get better service with Hughes but you'd pay more than you would with any other regular FIOS provider and still have data caps.

Switched over to unlimited data on my personal cell phones and get much better speed with no data cap for half the monthly fee of Hughes.

So arrgh!

9. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

372 Mbps download here. OK by me!

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, finally got around to this. I measured 50V across the line, so I tried a 2k resistor. Voltage dropped to 30V, implying a current of abt 15 ma and a source impedance of something like 1300 ohms. Does that seem normal? Anyway, this just killed the line... No dial tone, just a barely audible 60 hz hum. So I removed it.... Back to square 1.