ad: M2Ant-1

Interesting thread on Verizon community board re: amateur radio interference

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Sep 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Stumbled upon this during a search... granted, the thread on the Verizon Community board is several years old - but the comments still stand.

Interesting to see the range of "advice" given, and the levels of misunderstanding of both amateur radio, the operators that use it, how the FCC works (or doesn't work!), and even health effects. I'm surprised there are still so many misconceptions out there.

LINK: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet/ham-radio-interference/td-p/376819

Just thought others might enjoy the "all over the road" comments regarding ham radio interference with Verizon's DSL services. Some of the comments are pretty entertaining :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2CZU and K1LKP like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI DAVE,

THANK YOU....... I ENJOYED READING THE VERIZON PAGE......

I THOUGHT THIS WOULD BE APPROPRIATE REGARDING THE SUBJECT MATTER.
    HAM_RADIO_CARTOON.jpg

K0UO, KA2CZU, W2VW and 3 others like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's really no "proof" that there actually IS any interference, other than the OP of that thread. Simply an assertion that "we lose our DSL connection while he is transmitting".

OK. How do they know whether or not he's transmitting ? Could it be that they lose their DSL connection for other reasons, they assume that the ham must be transmitting.

What often happens is that people will complain about interference, just from seeing an antenna in the neighborhood. Every little glitch, they are convinced is due to the ham radio guy. Even when the ham isn't even home, sometimes even when the antenna isn't even connected. What they really want is to get rid of the antenna so they make stuff up.

Not saying that is for sure the case here but it happens. I heard about it enough in my previous neighborhood (where I was also the president of the neighborhood association, btw). Even had one woman from two blocks away show up at my house screaming about "radiation" from my 6BTV "mutating her babies" and she was going to call the police on me (which, either she never did, or if she did, the police ignored her).

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

One of my fave posts in the Verizon thread:

"My neighbors filed a complaint with the FCC. They regulate licensing for ham operators, and they are not supposed to interfere with TV, phones and other communications in their area. Aside from rewiring your dwelling , the FCC is probably the venue. If you are friendly with the ham operator, perhaps you can persuade them to adjust their equipment or provide you with shielded cabling that solves the problem.. Otherwise, you must use the FCC. That is a process that will take time and persistence. The ham operator in our apartment complex was not able to renew his license."

Or another:

"problem with Ham Radio is that FCC is allowing too much power without much over sight to Ham Radio operators, and they have no restriction on where they place antenna or transmitter, and it can be in tight residential neighborhood or even at apartment complex. FCC allow as much as 1500 watts to Ham Operators. that is ,more than average Microwave Oven of 800 watts, ( with shielded metal box ) . cell Phone are about 0.5 watts. There is serious health concern that such high level of electromagnetic radiation to be raduated in residential neighborhood. Those Ham radio rule are made over 50 years ago, when we still were not aware of radiation hazard. At that time, people are not aware of radiation hazard from nuclear power plant so on. some how, that old rule contunued to today unckheched"

I am not part of the problem though - I do not "raduate" more than 100 watts - so I'm a mere 1/8 of what is "raduated" from my microwave oven :D:D

upload_2019-9-21_9-49-5.png

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO, W1TRY, KA2CZU and 1 other person like this.
  5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to lose my DSL when I was transmitting, especially on the low HF bands. I put some ferrites on my phone line and went on about my life.

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

DSL? That's so Y2K. o_O

K7MH, NL7W and KD4MOJ like this.
  7. W7UUU

A lot of people still have it though - dial-up too!

I hated DSL but for a few years it's all I could get (this was post Y2K)

Dave
    W7UUU

W5RYC likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

One problem with DSL, Users and installers do not connect their router using 2 twisted pair.

The flat phone cable or cable that is not twisted pair will kill it every time.

Especially during lunch when the microwave is cooking.

9. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Shows how little some folks know of the actual Part 97 rules...

10. W7UUU

The comment you quote clearly comes from someone who probably knows more about "97 bottles of beer on the wall" than "FCC Part 97"

Yes indeed - there is a ton of misinformation out there.

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W and WA7PRC like this.