ad: cq2k-1

interesting situation

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K8EPL, Sep 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8EPL

K8EPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been a ham radio operator since 2006 and this has never happened to me and I need some advice. I live in Michigan and Michigan State laws allow him radio operators to do mobile operations in their vehicle. I run 2 m and 440 with a QYT kT8900. Last night and I was driving I suddenly got pulled over by a police officer and he was trying to understand what my radio does because he stated as we were driving down the road his radio went on the frets. To the best of my knowledge the local municipality here uses the 800 MHz trunk system. Apparently also somebody is impersonating a police officer in the area this is what they told me. A little bit of help can go a long way for me any questions let me know.

K8EPL

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of help do you need?

You're not in any trouble, you haven't done anything wrong.

He didn't ticket you or falsely arrest you, right?

3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why you? Does your vehicle stand out in some way? What would make an officer suspect that your vehicle was the reason his radio went on the fritz? Perhaps they're having a problem with someone interloping on their frequencies and the antenna or antennas on your vehicle raised alarm bells. Needing a reason to pull you over he claimed his radio suddenly went out when you were near his cruiser. You explained your equipment, cleared yourself, and he let you go.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You weren't driving an old Mt. Prospect police car, were you?

The ones that have a cop motor (a four hundred and forty cubic inch plant), cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. A model made before catalytic converters, so it'll run good on regular gas?

K5WY, K0UO, W7JPL and 2 others like this.
  5. KC0LDH

KC0LDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Likely pulled over for any visible antennas. Last I knew not a crime, or any reason to even perform the traffic stop.

First thing W2RE asks is a good one.

6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He was on a mission from God

K3XR, N5AF, N3PM and 1 other person like this.
  7. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had that once, must have been the antenna, just showed him my official card that we get as licensed operator here, and i could go on my way with his excuses.

8. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RR is great site for looking up what the local LE may be using radio-wise.

I pulled this using your QRZ page info:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1270

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=100

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We're you transmitting shortly before you were pulled over? Is there any chance your radio was producing harmonics that could have interfered with his radio?

10. W7JPL

W7JPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Puzzle pieces coming together.....Old Crown Vic still with the push bar - yellow "alert lights" on top - magnetic stars on the side saying "Licensed Amateur Radio Operator" - Brown jumper and yellow vest with "Emergency Comms" on it.....and a Baofeng radio powered by an car battery in the floor board with an old 50W stereo amp.

KIDDING!!!!!!!!!! :D

KP4SX and WR2E like this.