ad: M2Ant-1

Interesting QSO today in West Central Florida

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

kd7mjk & kg4prj writes "Earlier today, my better half (kg4prj) turned on our radio to one of the local repeaters in our area to see if there was any activity. Hearing no activity, I changed frequency to 146.52 to see if any simplex QSO's were in progress, and to my surprise I heard a pileup with a station that had a real strong signal and audio that didn’t match (really scatchy.)

I wasn’t paying much attention, but my fiancé Rachel (kg4prj) said she thought she heard him I.D. as kw4gt parachute mobile, and after a few short qsos we were able to confirm that’s what he was saying. This was exciting to us to say the least, so I called for him a few times, and after a while he came back to me and we gave each other signal reports, and he gave me an altitude report of 7000 feet before signing. After a few minutes, Rachel was able to make contact with him this time he was at 4500 feet, they signed and he went on making contacts on his way to the ground. So if the best way to work low-power simplex is to use elevation to your advantage, this guy should get an award for creativity. kw4gt, we salute you! You are the kind of operator that makes the hobby truly interesting. We REALLY enjoyed the unusual contact.

73s to All,

KD7MJK and KG4PRJ

Clearwater, FL"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.