Interesting Hammarlund ad from 1945

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WB0RIO, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to N2EY for posting this site a few weeks ago: http://americanradiohistory.com/
    I've been perusing some old Electronic Industries publications and found a ton of interesting
    articles and ads. The WWII and post-war editions are particularly interesting.
    Here's one example.

HammarlundAd.png

K3XR, N0TZU, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm waiting for Harris 5800s to come up on DRMO auctions. Alas, that won't ever happen, because they have encryption built in. :(

3. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course the answer to the question was the ubiquitous HQ-129x offered at the introductory price of $129!

[​IMG]

WB0RIO likes this.
  4. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

There are just tons of interesting articles and ads in those old magazines.
    Here's another one I had never seen:
    JohnsonHVcapAd.png

It's interesting to see how the incredible amount of technology development for WWII quickly
    changed to civilian activities after the war, particularly in the areas of television and FM broadcasting.

KD2ACO likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The WW2 RBG was closer to the 1946 HQ-129X than the 120. I have the 120, 129, 140, 150, and RBG-2 in the single RF stage, single conversion models. Other early models here is a SP-100, BC-779, BC-1004 and SP-400X.

I had a 129x while in HS in 1956 and sold it in 70 and had to buy another one when I got interested in boatanchors in the 90's.

Carl

K7MH and K2XT like this.
  6. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked up the Hammarlund address on google maps. Now it is the location of a bar.
    Maybe Hammarlund occupied multiple floors, because it doesn't look like there is much room to be building receivers.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Before my time, and I don't know.

But there was a time when Hammarlund was making stuff in NJ. As a kid, I remember they had a place in Red Bank and I recall seeing it but never ventured inside. I don't know what they did there, but the big "H" logo sign was on the building.

8. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve, You're slipping.

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hammarlund started on Fulton St. in Manhattan;
    then moved to 18th St (roughly around 40 or 50 employees);
    then moved to West 33rd St. (engineering, accounting, and general management was mostly what was here);
    In 1951 manufacturing was moved to Mars Hill, NC;
    Additional manufacturing expansion there in 1959 (now total of about 100,000 sq. feet)
    In late 60's, Electronic Assistance Corp. (EAC), Red Bank, NJ bought Hammarlund and all of its assets. Product lines were phased out or sold off in parts. Around roughly 1973, they closed the factory.
    If you crossed the Navesink River heading East on Front Street and looked up and to your right, not to far away and up a building around 4 or 5 floors, was a huge Hammarlund sign facing West.

10. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

WB4TAA and KP4SX like this.