Interesting Find when using Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA9JLM, Oct 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is info from a website that I test my internet speed with.

Has anyone had problems with slow internet speeds because of Microsoft Spying on You ?

Or is it Microsoft protecting You ?

I am sure this must be a Security thing. :rolleyes:

Your thoughts...

upload_2020-10-7_13-59-34.png

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Thought you gave up on Win10? No trouble here with Linux.

K4VBB and KK4NSF like this.
  3. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Kill off all phone home options from W10, several tools for that first thing i did.
    Use anonymous browser, Startpage, add Google analytics opt out, IBA opt out, Add Block Plus, disconnect, browsing protection F secure, done.
    50/5 Mb/s down/up here, slowest speed we can get more then enough for 2 people running their computer/telly.
    We can get Gigabit internet, not needed.

WJ4U and KA9JLM like this.
  4. K1XH

K1XH Ham Member QRZ Page

Get rid of the M$ apps and Win10 works great.

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

Not yet.

I like punishment. Especially when my girl ties me to the Bedpost. :)

Linux is still my goto for serious computing.

I just play with Windows 10.

6. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

I even don't use social media, no twitter, no twatter no facebook just 1 real and 1 phoney mail addy, sorted.

7. KA9JLM

Same here. My computer will not even go to Facebook. I like it that way. It is a Virus.

upload_2020-10-7_16-46-48.png

PA5COR likes this.
  8. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't wanna be changing the subject..... but me thinking of building a new pewter, win 10 I'm dubious about so what other systems could be suggested? apart from Linux and one or two other strange ones popping up.... there's only Linux I can see, China refused Win 10 with all the spyware Squeaky Gate had to take em' out.

Dave.

9. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

What apps would those be, I know of Cotana or what ever its called and Edge and to stop all the spyware.... but what about all the backdoors and those sneaky updates?

Dave

10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The biggest drain on both internet speeds and computer processing is all of the cr*p almost all web sites download as part of their advertising. There was a study done within the past year that had something like less than 10% of the traffic being actual content on the average web site. 90%+ was basically badly written garbage of no benefit to the end user.

If you really want to see a speed increase install an add-on that blocks all 'scripts. You'll be amazed at how fast things become when web browsing. Although at least half the web pages will stop working...

The MS Office apps haven't been a material speed drain for computers made for about 20 years now.

11. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    KA9JLM likes this.