ad: IACantenna-1

Interesting DX topics besides gear and weather?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK5FPAC, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:50 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I lived in West Africa for two years and I know for a fact most people there bathe less than once a month and they smell like dead fish on a radiator.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have many pretty long rag chews with DX stations, conditions permitting (and they often don't permit!).

For me, key points are:

Even for a long conversation, keep each transmission short, maybe 2 minutes long, to confirm the propagation still exists and you're not talking to yourself.

Try to remember the other station may not be fluent in English; so prepare to speak his/her language or keep sentences fairly simple, using very common words -- unless you can tell the other station is truly fluent because he/she has almost no "foreign" accent and uses big, complex words right from the start.

To get a good conversation going, ASK QUESTIONS, don't just talk. After the common "rig and antenna here are..." stuff which can be covered in 60 seconds, I usually ask more about the other op, personally -- or more about his location. Examples might be: So, do you work today or are you retired? What do (or did) you do for an occupation? Have you always lived in your area, or did you move from somewhere else? What kind of food do you like most? What other hobbies do you have, besides ham radio? Do you watch any American sports? Have you ever been here (in my case, to Los Angeles)? (It's amazing how many have, and as soon as we touch on that we start talking about all the places they've been in L.A., or in America -- and many love to talk about that.)

I even do this on CW, but mostly using abbreviations.

There are hundreds of questions to ask, and in conversation you really get to know the other op.

VK5FPAC and KA2CZU like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

humans are filthy mammals.

4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Based on my experience going to hamfests, it seems like not showering daily is standard operating procedure for a lot of hams.

VK5FPAC and WF4W like this.
  5. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But on the topic of DX......

I only work DX that says they use LoTW on their QRZ page, and yet sometimes I never get their confirmation on LoTW. I need it for certificates and awards and such, do they think I just worked 'em for THE FUN OF IT??

6. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of hams are lazy. I get LoTW confirmations almost daily for contacts I made years ago. Some people upload their log to LoTW in big batches. I upload mine at the end of every operating session.

WU8Y likes this.
  7. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Be an interesting person, and the conversation will take care of itself.

VK5FPAC likes this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am an amateur meteorologist and have won some awards predicting weather. I am very interested in all weather but don't tell me your temperature is 70F, the F is totally unnecessary. Don't ever say it's partially overcast. Don't use the word "here", totally unnecessary. Don't ever say it is 90 with a humidity of 95% unless you live near the Red Sea. Almost no where else it is 85 or above does the humidity ever reach 60% at that temperature. Also it doesn't hail in the USA in the winter months, except rarely on the Gulf Coast.

9. K1OIK

I once heard Gordon West talk 7 minutes about himself and end it with, "what else do you want to hear about me?"

10. K1OIK

I went 14 years without a shower until I got my ham license.