Interesting DX topics besides gear and weather?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK5FPAC, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:50 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been a ham for long, but I do work a job that brings me into a lot of small-talk situations with a LOT of different people. I can vouch for the ideas here.

As has been said before - feel them out for common interests. If not common, then be genuinely curious about things that interest them. Mind you that the other person is likely trying to feel you out for your interests as well, and it can be a big help to volunteer something about yourself (And you'll get more traffic from claiming to know the best pizza joint in your maidenhead square than from your interest in fifth-century stringed instruments, generally.) Personally, I'm kinda foodie, and everyone eats, so that's a good go-to especially when I get to meet someone 'exotic' to me.

Don't think of it as a pass-fail either - folks generally venture out into the ether for social purposes or to collect call signs. Learning the difference comes first, and after that you're really working together.

And don't be afraid to strike out.. but the more often you swing, the less each out counts towards your batting average :D

VK5FPAC likes this.
  2. K2XT

K2XT Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless there is a hurricane, tornado, flood or a snowstorm that has hams utilizing their fantastic communications skills I can't for the life of me understand what interest ANYONE would have in someone else's weather.
    I mean, when you last vacuumed the bedroom is more interesting.
    Yet there are entire nets, that go on for hours (Early Bird Net, approximately 4-5 am EST, 3940) where the check-ins say good morning and give their TEMPERATURES ! The good morning part I can appreciate, but the TEMPERATURE ?
    Ok, here ya go, for your edification, it is 48 degrees in Cream Ridge NJ right now.

I wonder what the wx is in "Dismal Seepage, Indiana" today? (I'll write it down.)

VK5FPAC and WF4W like this.
  3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

No. I mean, if you want to chat, fine, but I can't think of anything more wasteful of time and bandwidth than blathering on.

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Grab a cup of coffee and read....

"I can go on for hours talking about how smart my kids are, how ghetto my house is, how my XYL is gaining weight, my stamp collection, my hobby breeding earthworms, my restored Yugo, X-Box game conversations, and my teeth grooming habits but all they keep doing is wanting to bring the conversation back to rigs and antennas. "

Folks remember, most people don't CARE about your crap and it's not really "conversation". The biggest aspect of conversation is something hams are lousy at...listening. Ever hear a QSO where it is actually just two simultaneous monologues? He's talking about how he was in a car accident and the other guy is talking about his wife's car accident.

Take a cue from a girl I dated when I was in HS and I it was really really fun talking to her. She was pretty, but an average looking girl but it was always nice being on a date with her. She finally told me her secret...she kept the conversation about ME and not her. She would start a conversation and bring it around to me. I was flabbergasted!

You want a good QSO? Ask questions and LISTEN. Don't talk about yourself all the time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:10 PM
    VK5FPAC and K2XT like this.
  5. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ask them how they really feel about the dictator of their country.

VK5FPAC and K2XT like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to read the rest of your post, but I got distracted looking at the pictures. :)

VK5FPAC likes this.
  7. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Either the conversation is going to flow naturally, or it isn't. I've had QSO's where I mentioned that I was going to go cook dinner on the grill later that developed into quite the conversation about outdoor cooking. I still cook salmon on the grill the same way I learned on 20 meters from a ham in California about 10 years ago! Some people are natural talkers, some not so much. If somebody asks a question about the weather, it can lead to great conversation about outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding, snowmobiling etc.

What I don't like is if I feel like I am being interrogated....that happens sometimes. Maybe I don't feel like discussing my personal life beyond what I volunteer. Also, discussing politics is a no-no unless you know the other person well. It can go sour really quickly, and for some DX stations such topics can even be illegal.

And for heaven's sake if the DX station has dozens of other stations trying to contact him, that is NOT the time to try to be conversational! :)

VK5FPAC and WU8Y like this.
  8. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be a wonderful thing if QSOs were possible with DX stations. But you know and I know that a dozen other hams are waiting to pounce on that "rare" XE3 you're tying down, and will be tuning up, etc, to show that they are ready to say "59,Thanks, QSL?"

VK5FPAC and WF4W like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are so many excellent topics of discussion besides equipment and antennas. When you are working DX some interesting topics for discussion are:

The merits of indoor plumbing.
    Having a fully stocked pantry and a supermarket right up the street.
    Not having to put bars on the windows and imbed broken glass in exterior walls.
    How to defeat razor wire.
    How to treat sepsis from razor wire.
    How to patch and repair bullet and bomb damage to your home.
    The benefits of clean drinking water.
    What it's like to be able to shower every day.
    How are things there since the coup?

There are so many interesting things to discuss with DX stations, I bet if you try you can come up with plenty of your own.:)

VK5FPAC likes this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

how anyone can NOT shower every day and still feel human is beyond my understanding...

VK5FPAC and KA4DPO like this.