Interesting BoatAnchor Auction

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA2CWA, Nov 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2ZFA

KC2ZFA Ham Member QRZ Page

is the famous 78-feet tower for sale ?

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I quit scanning through the pictures after page 9.

He was quite a hoarder.

Unfortunately, the number of people who know how to do something more than put them up for display in a museum are dwindling. And those who know how to keep some of these items on the air will make them "not original" anymore; thus, reducing their "collector's value" even more.

And the number of people who buy these items on emotion are dwindling.

My guess is some will be finished off by inexperienced folks and will end up in a landfill. Some will go straight to a landfill after this auction is over. And some will be scattered around the U.S. to sit on someone else's shelf for a while.

I can't help but wonder how many of these items will still be on someone's shelf in another 100 years.

W1BR and KW4H like this.
  3. KW4H

KW4H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget the hungry hordes that will gut and part out some of that perfectly restorable gear because they can make more bucks that way. You've given me an opening to rant about something that pisses me off sometimes: people who buy boat anchors to merely turn a buck, have little appreciation for the history of the equipment, and don't really care that much about restoration. That happens because restoring most of this old gear requires a great deal of time, patience, and caution. Each piece is a puzzle worth savoring and digging through. Even the right knobs matter.

Steve, KW4H

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please post your notarized statement affirming:
    'I have never, and will never install used parts in any radio, So help me, Marconi".

W3SLK and KW4H like this.
  5. KW4H

KW4H Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I should be more clear: some gear is in such bad shape that it should be parted out rather than thrown in the dump. What grates on me is the parting out of perfectly restorable (and restoration-worthy) old radios simply because someone could make more money that way.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Better than a Sad Case in Illinois, that occurred about 15 years ago.

A rare radio collection, easily valued over $30,000 was sent to the Junk yard by his children.
    They did not like “Dad’s radio hobby” (Hate & anti-STEM) … they knew collection had value —
    BUT they did not care. Be Rid of Him was a frequent comment.

7. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoarder on a massive scale. I need to step up my game if I'm going to be in the same league before I'm pushing up daisies. I have a good start, though, with 5 HW-101s, a big tube stash, plus all the other electro-junque I have ...

8. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm getting rid of the last of my boat anchors (DX-40/VF1 - 100% functional and Drake 2NT/2C/2CQ - MINT) at the Jackson MS hamfest at the end of January 2022. Someone else will part them out or put them in a landfill. Not me.

W1BR likes this.