Interesting amplifier comment heard on the air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W7UUU, Apr 11, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep....

2. K8CCA

K8CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have ever had a piece of ham gear on your table at a swap, you know that almost every Ham that stops has to turn the knobs. I mean they can't help it....

I wonder who these new non knob turner hams are and where did they come from?

Same for a CW key on your table. I had a bug that I could sell for a long time and dragging it around to a few different shows. I then decided to rig up an oscillator with battery connected so people could see how well it worked cause it seemed that every guy that walked by had to to mess with it. After I added the tone, and had it turned up loud so all could hear, it was really funny the guys that would touch the key, then hear the sound and step away as it seems not a lot of people can work a bug these days. It was a great deterrent to ham grease on the key :rolleyes:

....eta of course there are a few old timers that would start ripping off 25+wpm and then comment to get a feeler gage out and get that bug adjusted correctly. With Covid, I never did sell it and I am glad as I decided I had to learn to work it with my spare time. I am not great at it, but getting better. I think I still like Iambic better however, but I like boatanchors, so I need a bug lol

3. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Wet Paint principle...

4. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that is odd but I guess if people will buy these
    upload_2021-4-23_19-51-36.png

They will buy multiple amps for each band - people are people I guess ha ha

Im guessing he/they have multiple amps per band :p
    upload_2021-4-23_19-52-55.png

N8RKD, KL7SG, AD5HR and 1 other person like this.
  5. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice pic of George, I've worked him several times on 15M.

N8RKD likes this.
  6. AE0Q

AE0Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a number of multi-multi contest stations with amp and radio (and PC etc) for every band. Just one example is NR5M, 10 operating positions in one room, each with an Alpha 77Sx (2 x 8877) and a 2nd amp for each of the 10 positions. Where do you think all those big signals in contests come from? It's not so strange in the contest world. People have been building those stations for decades...

Glenn AE0Q

DSC_6433.JPG

N3RYB and KL7SG like this.
  7. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

This reminds me of the guys in the camera forums who have multiple cameras so they never change lenses.