ad: M2Ant-1

Interesting amplifier comment heard on the air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W7UUU, Apr 11, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be he suffers from tunaphobia.

WS9K, N0TZU, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave...check out the 1968 ARRL handbook. It describes a setup with a pair of 813s for EVERY band!

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I addressed this in post #7

Dave
    W7UUU

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

K2CD likes this.
  5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Why in this day and age are you surprised to hear these things?
    Money does funny things to people.
    I just very recently heard on 40m one reply when asked about his Antenna that his 450 ohm feed line is buried!
    If true, what does that tell you?
    A long time ago I was coming down a road to a stop sign and saw a car 'fly' by at speed.
    All I said to myself, the street dead ends just about a hundred feet beyond against a railroad bank, I hope he knows it!.
    Never forgot got it to this day it made such an impression.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a ham around Derry, NH that had a huge contest station in the late 80s that had large amps per band. There were huge yagis, also. Carl, @K1MH can describe the station in detail. I was in complete awe.

Ed

7. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are the typical new age ham who buys everything ready to go, then multiple amps might seem too wasteful and beyond reach.
    But, lets say for The Big 3, (80, 40, 20) used older amps that have a failed power supply, or an unobtanium band switch (or unobtanium tube) could be changed over to a shared outboard power supply and used as dedicated power heads.
    If two of the amps have a working power supply, they can be paralleled .

For the build from scratch types among us:
    A single very healthy power supply and 'heads' for each of the bands you want to work is more cost effective than it might seem at first - esp. if you are a good scrounger.
    The power heads do not need expensive band switches or expensive roller inductors. Major cost items.
    For a single band, the tune and load caps can be a combination of fixed caps paralleled with a smaller value, less expensive, variable for fine tuning.
    The HV choke can be hand wound for a single band at little cost.
    For 160 - 40 multiple paralleled power tubes will work nicely for reaching the desired power level.
    20 - 10 will need a bit more finesse.

The flip side will be one Big power tube and HV supply feeding individual tank circuits. Probably even more cost effective for the upper power levels.

I'm limiting my building to antennas these days, but it is nice to reminisce :D about a flat belly, full head of hair, and limitless enthusiasm.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KC1XX? Matt's still around, if that's who you mean.

I visited him when he was still building his house and had just installed the first towers and the skylights in the roof so you could look "up" from the shack and see the beams. That was in about 1986 or so. Matt was a very gung-ho guy.

9. K8CCA

K8CCA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a lot of guys have AM boatanchor rigs left tuned to 3880 or 7290. Just fire it up and key the mic when needed lol.

W4LJ, AD5HR and K0UO like this.
  10. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If he can't be bothered to turn knobs on band changes he should get a solid-state amp - they have instant bandswitching.

Or - as stated above, he has more dollars than sense. Each to his own I guess.

AC0GT and WD4IGX like this.