ad: QSLWorks-1

Interested in Amateur Radio Digital Mode FT8 Operations?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Aug 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with your comments. I opened up this video because I'm genuinely interested in what people see of interest in this pastime, and would have potentially used it to kick start at least a try from my end.. But this video with weird noises and mystery hard-to-read screens doesn't do anything for me.

M1WML and K9GLS like this.
  2. AE0IT

AE0IT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are plenty of step-by-step “how to” videos on YouTube made by fellow HAMs. They do a great job explaining the setup and use of FT8, along with other modes.

M1WML and W7DGJ like this.
  3. W7DGJ

Thank you -- if you've seen one using the Mac, a link would be much appreciated. Regards, Dave W7DGJ

M1WML likes this.
  4. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

See if this helps: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=macintosh+FT8
    I have not reviewed these videos but several matches were present...can't vouch for the quality of them. I used to use a Mac for AMTOR, PACTOR, etc. with the AEA PK-232 but that was a long time ago.

M1WML likes this.
  5. W7DGJ

I love this site and the ham radio attitude of helping others . . . I will return your favor of assistance in kind, to someone else on a matter that I can help them with. Dave

M1WML likes this.
  6. AE0IT

I haven't searched directly on Mac computers and FT8 as I don't have a Mac, but a couple of YouTube video creators to check out are KM4ACK and K0PIR. These guys put out a lot of great content without a lot of fluff, so even if the subject isn't directly Mac related the concept and information is very good.

KM4ACK - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSQhXfGo_68Ta8-2wStAWkw

K0PIR - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCarHONUhA7Z9iqvblt0GBYQ

Here is a K0PIR video on installing WSJT-X on an iMac. WSJT-X is the application you need for FT8.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    M1WML and W7DGJ like this.
  7. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tend to agree with a lot of guys out here in that FT-8 DOES NOT IMPRESS US ONE IOTA NOR IS A WHAT MOST OF US ARE HAMS FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE, "A CHALLENGE PLAIN & SIMPLE!!!

VK6APZ/SK2022, NN6A, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  8. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly.
    Only a newbie thinks 'what could be easier, pick a mike and call'. Hard to imagine a thing that is farther to the truth.

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Any made by fellow hams?

UT7UX likes this.
  10. UT7UX

Almost any video made be non professionals (from some skilled amateur individuals to most big production studio) are unbearable boring and watching them is obviously wasting your time. I would suppose fellow hams are good people but to be a good man not necessarily means to be good video producer.
    Another thought. With a video the watcher/listener is strictly limited to video's tempo so cannot pass not interesting parts, cannot efficiently slow down interesting or hard to understand parts, and cannot watch illustrations in details except with 'pause' on the video. With the plain text and some necessary pictures one have unlimited freedom to read as fast as comfortable, skip unnecessary, watch the illustrations as long as needed. Sure there are many situations when video is the best way to explain something. Meanwhile there are many situations when video is the worst way to explain something but authors still do useless videos instead of useful text, maybe with pictures.

11. N3QAM

N3QAM Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR does in fact work without the internet.

12. UT7UX

Even more: DMR does in fact work peer-to-peer like any ham and most commercial radios, without a relay.

N3QAM likes this.
  13. AE0IT

Please look posts above your last post. ☝️

14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

nuance.jpg

15. N4AHX

N4AHX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When the normal HF bands (40m, 20m today) are empty and no one answers your CQ, FT8 and FT4 ,(to less extent), are active. Plenty of DX. Last these modes require one party to answer a CQ. Sometimes you connect, sometimes not. Stations calling CQ need to pick a clear frequency. Be careful, it can be fun and addictive.