ad: M2Ant-1

Interested in Amateur Radio Digital Mode FT8 Operations?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Aug 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't need any internet access at all for FT8! You don't really need DX clusters either. You can get so much information from what the bands are doing just with a standalone computer and radio with FT8. Each station transmits its grid square typically. Spotter websites like pskreporter are nice too, just like DX clusters are. (I've never actually used a DX cluster fwiw).

My comments regarding CW being an ancient technique were a bit tongue in cheek. I agree that digital modes certainly require more hardware than CW does. I can see the value in CW though even though I've not taken the time to learn it myself. I sure hope new hams know that CW is alive and kicking, the test material certainly mentions it enough.

That ought to be all the reason anyone ought to need!

M1WML and N7KO like this.
  2. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If we're talking FT8, no internet connection is required. I'm operating here from the RV without Internet. I just needed an accurate time source I grabbed from WWV to set the clock on the netbook. I also disable PSK Reporting from WSJT-X.

Attached Files:

KF4ZKU, M1WML and N3RYB like this.
  3. M7ODY

M7ODY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's nothing to do with CW as a mode. It's a fine mode, steeped in tradition and practical in many ways. I can see the attraction.

My problem is with the ops who are just so darned rude.

KF4ZKU, M1WML and PY2NEA like this.
  4. M7ODY

I think you grossly underestimate our kids.

Besides, the genie is out of the bottle. Some of us are OK with it and are perfectly happy making a rational choice to use it. You don't have to...

M1WML likes this.
  5. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes now and then you will run across a rude CW op, but I have found this far between, manly because I stay away from contests, I found when there is contests the rudeness comes out in a few op's.

KF4ZKU and M1WML like this.
  6. M7ODY

And that's fine, of course it is, as it's your experience and your preference.

Yet it also implies that someone who can't (or doesn't choose to) listen can't have fun, which just isn't true. You'd be amazed at how many will stretch your point to assert it's "not proper radio", which is far from fun to defend.

M1WML likes this.
  7. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

As to sailing, albeit not in the German P-Class vessels, there is https://www.towt.eu/routes-towt/ French Shipping Company aimed at transporting goods solely by sailing ships.
    Company is growing rapidly, last time I checked they had not such an extended fleet nor routes.
    Always wondered if they embarked Radio Officers (which I am not), using A1A and RTTY :D
    BTW, as you're interested in seafaring, read a very alarming piece of news, nastiest of all decades https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ts-spot-warning-signs-of-gulf-stream-collapse
    Oceans regulating everything, you can guess the rest.

Oliver

N7KO and M1WML like this.
  8. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I don't mean to imply this. I said in the beginning of my post that I do not begrudge those who use it. If that's how you get your enjoyment out of Ham Radio - more power to you. Have fun. That's what it's all about. If that means hooking up your radio to your sound-card interface, and connecting it to your computer, and working DX stations far and wide - I think that's great. And, as the OP mentioned - there is DEFINITELY a place for digital modes such as FT8. They can tell us things that listening can't about propagation.

All I mean to say is that FOR ME, and MY enjoyment of Ham Radio, I will be using CW to work the world - however long that takes me.

M1WML and NW7US like this.
  9. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 is another aspect of Amateur Radio. Some do not like it as it does not allow for rag chewing. I can count on one had the number of times I've been able to have an actual conversation with a DX station. There are either a gaggle waiting to work the DX or there is the language barrier. FT8 has no language barrier. While we've been in the bottom of the sun spot cycle, FT8 has been the only mode I have found active ( with the exception of some CW) on the higher bands. As conditions improve I suspect there will be less activity on the digital modes and an uptick in SSB DX contacts.

NN6A and M1WML like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I view my Brown Brothers CTL-B and Vibroplex Orignal Standard as beautiful user interfaces.

NN6A, W6MQI, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  11. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to view my old paddles as beautiful user interfaces. These days I still really like the PC-Radio interface I designed and built for digital modes (yes, that's my old call on there).

Attached Files:

M1WML likes this.
  12. AA0KM

AA0KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Advancement of Radio Art is almost gone and into the hands of a few programmers. Gone are conversations and advancement of radio. Quiet ! No talking please!.....

VK6APZ/SK2022, W6MQI, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  13. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, so many panties in a bunch. If you don't like the mode, don't use it! Seems pretty simple to me. I personally like using it once in a while. And not to get some paperwork or "Award" for the wall (I don't care about that stuff). I do it for fun. And I find contests boring like some find FT8 boring. I also rag chew on HF. It's all good folks, use what you like and enjoy.

M1WML likes this.
  14. N9WRP

N9WRP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use ft8 by necessity because of my poor hearing. Its very difficult for me to understand voices on hf especially during this solar cycle. Hopefully this up-coming cycle
    will be an improvement. Best to all. 73

NN6A, M1WML, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.
  15. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

So am I, facing a drastic hearing deficit from my childhood, and now approaching 60yo.
    However, and exactly because of such a deficiency, I stick to the mode implying listening efforts, CW, sidetone being okay to listen to, especially with no artifact at all from a BA rig.
    How much rewarding, how proud would I be today if been following the easy path i.e. visual modes only?
    Aren't our eyes already aggressively cornered?

Oliver

M1WML likes this.