ad: HamHats-1

Interested in Amateur Radio Digital Mode FT8 Operations?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Aug 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. BG6BHA

BG6BHA Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT8 is a boon for those who like to play amateur radio, but can't install an antenna.
    It is more boring than SSB/CW, but it satisfies the fun of the hobby.

KI7WL, KF4ZKU, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  2. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've looked closely in the settings, but for the life of me i can't find out how to set my paddle speed.

WA1LAD, W4BUZ, M1WML and 3 others like this.
  3. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

By which aspect of English grammar and the conveyance of meaning are you confused?

I'm still laughing at your self-important consternation.

W4GOV and M1WML like this.
  4. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Beyond the question where can we find in the digital modes the joy of expressing ourselves by using our human abilities; speaking and listening as well as coding and decoding, being smart by controlling several processes, communicating, there is a bigger problem with using them: it generally makes us looking someone who stays further and further away from the classic idea of a radio amateur while that conception is still important to many of us. Even for people who is lazier to act respectively between making QSO's. :)

Yes, one can learn a lot by operating a transmitter, since even if you buy everything ready-made, you still need some knowledge, and will pick up some knowledge for sure. This can be something around the propagation, EMI, distortions in transmitters, etc., there are so many. And it happens to an extent as well when practicing the digital modes, that's not a question.

But learning the analog (part of) technology of sending and receiving radio waves is/was enormously more common than learning DSP, the digital modulations, and programming it, or at least understanding some (important) parts of such programs. As a matter of fact, it is partly understandable since everything is much more difficult today or at least needs more time to learn, and simply the amount of knowledge needed for even a small area of it can be frightening.

I have some young friends who were more interested in digital modes than the cw because they were the modern and gripping aspects of being a ham for them, but they actually learned DSP, the related electronic parts and their behaviors, etc., and tinkered with or wrote such software as others build a radio or some parts of them. Tell me, how many hams are remotely doing this, even involved in the programming in this "digital era" a bit more than setting some switches of an Arduino, especially who pontificates the superiority of digital communication and that sacred "innovation of ham radio" by it??

So, you try to give knowledge... of what? Speaking of the missing advancement in the digital technologies in the heads is only acceptable if your only mission is not just fighting against the heretics. I could continue this, you would need some sensitization, but it is not against you.

AA5BK, M1WML, PY2NEA and 2 others like this.
  5. SV1RUX

SV1RUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Next up ........ a video entitled "How to watch paint dry"

VK6APZ/SK2022, WN1MB, W6MQI and 18 others like this.
  6. 3DA0AQ

3DA0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My cables to the beam were stolen. FT8 came to the rescue! :)

KI7WL, CE2EC, N3FAA and 2 others like this.
  7. NW7US

What a thoughtful entry into this conversation:

Great thoughts and a great question. I appreciate that you took the time to join in the conversation.

I've been involved with radio since the early 1970s.

My radio journey beginning was when I discovered a portable Sony four-band receiver, in my parent's bedroom on a nightstand. I started sneaking it out and took it far into a nearby field, on sunny days. I'd settle down in the middle of that field, and started figuring out how to turn on the radio, how to fiddle with the band switch, how to extend the telescoping antenna. I was about seven or eight years of age. On the one band labeled, "SW" -- I had no idea for what that stood -- I heard very odd sounds, and occasionally, people speaking foreign languages, or maybe English. I heard music. I heard pops and whines.

Eventually, I discovered the time signals from WWV, from Fort Collins, Colorado. And, as I lay on my back, looking up into the blue sky and watched lazy clouds drift by, I heard a report about sunspot counts and geomagnetic activity. I was fascinated by all of it. Thus was planted a seed that became a life-long love affair with radio, especially ShortWave radio. I went to the library and asked the librarian questions about sunspots, and found books, and thus began my educational journey into space weather as well as electronics. Eventually, I got into broadcast radio and operated and maintained transmitters, and then I joined the military as a US Army Signal Corps soldier and learned even more.

I learned Morse code and became a Novice-class amateur radio operator. I spent hours upon hours on the Novice subbands, having many Morse-code conversations. My first love is, truly, Morse code. I especially love straight-key (non-electronic-keyed) Morse code. I am an active member of the Straight Key Century Club - https://www.skccgroup.com/ - earning the Senator level (SKCC is a free membership group that "is the most active group of mechanical-key Morse code radiotelegraph operators in the world. Founded in January 2006, we have thousands of members around the globe).

I enjoy all manner of modes in radio communications because each mode has unique qualities that keep things interesting--to me. FT8 is just one tool in my bag of capabilities that serves a purpose from time to time. Yes, I get the most joy from a good ragchew on HF CW with Morse code. However, when some DXpedition operates mostly or exclusively FT8, or the one station from a country not yet in my collection of DXCC entries operates only on FT8 and no other station operates any mode from that country, then I will use FT8.

Truthfully, I not only enjoy Morse code, but also enjoy the various voice modes, as well as digital modes (especially the mode, Olivia - I even started a Groups-io email reflector group trying to promote and keep alive this MFSK mode, Olivia: https://groups.io/g/Olivia/ ). I'll try nearly any mode that has been or will be introduced -- experimental and all. All of these activities add to my skill and knowledge. Additionally, in some way, this diversity of mode selection in my operations is my part of being a goodwill ambassador to the World.

Speaking of goodwill, as well as the advancement of radio, the following is quoted from the FCC rules and regulations, 47 CFR § 97.1 - Basis and purpose:

One of the points in my post is that FT8 does require human control, initiation, and management. I demonstrate that during the fifteen minutes in the video. To believe that FT8 is somehow non-human is incorrect. If someone believes FT8 is automated in such a way that no human initiates and controls the 'contact,' then that person believes falsehoods (OK, to be more technically accurate, FT8 as currently implemented by the software WSJT-X, as far as I can ascertain, is not an automated, completely autonomous, robotic mode). Such belief--that WSJT-X is a bot that takes the human factor out of FT8 operation--is technically wrong, and therefore, logically, false. Every FT8 communication/contact is initiated by a human control operator. One has to operate the software in such a way as to either initiate the CQ sequence, or, select on the waterfall the signals of another station and begin the calling/answering sequence.

The ARRL states, "The rules now require that each claimed contact include contemporaneous direct initiation by the operator on both sides of the contact. Initiation of a contact may be either local or remote." There are those who may have figured out a way to create a robotic implementation of FT8 sequence control, but if so are probably doing such operations illegally. And, I concur with the sentiment often expressed regarding the removal of the human factor in making such communications completely automated. Ham radio is in part a hobby of goodwill, and that includes crossing borders and establishing a relationship between people. And, this is a day and age where we need goodwill between people.

FACT: An FT8 QSO (as implemented by WSJT-X) must be initiated and controlled by a human control operator. FT8 as provided by WSJT-X is not autonomous. Someone cannot set WSJT-X to start operating on its own while going away to play golf, then come back hours later to see the hundreds of QSOs in the log. WSTJ-X, as designed, cannot technically do any such thing.

That said, the ARRL just certified two new submitted FT8 QSO candidates from my LotW logbook, after I applied for them to be added so I'd get credit for making contact with operators in two new-to-me DXCC countries. Those two, confirmed by the ARRL, count now toward the next level of my DXCC Mixed award. Those two QSOs were FT8 QSOs--two FT8 exchanges that I manually made with those two operators from two different countries.

I don't think the ARRL is breaking their own rule. Logic is not on the side of the person who believes otherwise.

FT8 operation takes skill, and it is controlled and instigated by the amateur radio human operator. In that way, it is no different than its great-great-grandfather, RTTY. (And, I don't think that FT8 is killing amateur radio, just as RTTY did not kill amateur radio; https://www.amateurradio.com/amateur-radio-good-will/)

In answer to your question,
    my estimation is that a fair number of amateur radio operators are doing this, and more, and those doing so come from all age groups, geographical regions, and other demographics. Books are being sold, videos being made, courses taught, and on-air activity ensuing. And, not all of this is centered on FT8, but on many other 'modern' DSP-centric modes and schemes (DMR, for instance).

Again, thank you for your contribution to this conversation.

N9DWL and M1WML like this.
  8. NW7US

But, drying paint just isn't true ham radio!

W4LJ and M1WML like this.
  9. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 is just another amateur radio mode to use and enjoy.
    If you do not like it, then do not use it.

True ham radio is what you make of it.

:):):)

N9DWL, KY4GD, W1KRI and 19 others like this.
  10. M7ODY

M7ODY Ham Member QRZ Page

This conversation is more grown up than the various ones I've had on Facebook!

1. I have bad social anxiety and mild PTSD. The last thing I want to do is speak to anyone I don't know very well particularly not small talk. Reading some of the comments here and elsewhere one would assume I'm not welcome in amateur radio because the mode I choose to employ in order to access the hobby "isn't proper radio".
    2. No, I really don't want to do voice contests. I've tried FM on my local repeater and it left me a sweaty mess, so for me the ham equivalent of going into a busy bar and not getting served just doesn't appeal. Fine for some, not for me.
    3. Digi modes enable me to do my ham thang in the living room via VNC and therefore be in the room with the station manager rather than in the shed/shack/room on my own and with her on her own. (People getting wound up about what you call your nerd store? really?)
    4. I'm a Physicist. Particles/CERN/high energy magic. I find learning about propogation/homebrew/VNA/software really pushes my buttons in a positive way. WSJT-X originally written by a Nobel Laureate physicist. That's kinda cool too. Again, not for some. That's OK as well.
    The edgier/meaner comments in this sort of thread are our hobby's biggest problem. The image it projects is not a good one.

The underlying message I suppose is that our hobby has so many different avenues to explore that there's a niche for everyone to enjoy it without the unnecessary bitchiness particularly this topic ilicits.

K4RS, N9DWL, KY4GD and 11 others like this.
  11. WA7NTL

WA7NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer the warm soothing glow of the vacuum tubes from my Swan 500C.

M1WML and N1IPU like this.
  12. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Disclaimers:

* I'm a relatively new ham - 4 years+.
    * I'm not opposed to technology as I work in the IT industry.
    * WSJT-X IS installed on my computer. I've used it, and have contacts in my log book for FT8.
    * I don't begrudge those who use it. If that's how you get your enjoyment out of Ham Radio - more power to you.

Having said all that, I got into Ham Radio because I wanted to HEAR weak signals. I wanted to be able to put headphones on, and hear that distant, weak DX station. The problem that I have with FT8 is that the computer HEARS the weak signals for me. It seems that there is very little work involved on my part to get those stations. As such, it takes the fun out of the hobby for me. It feels like an 'easy button' for those who want to get their DXCC.

I remember when I first saw WSJT-X / FT8 in action. My first reaction was - 'Okay, this is kinda cool. I'll get this installed on my computers, and mess with it, and see what I can accomplish.' So, I got it working, and got it decoding. I have to admit that seeing all of that delicious DX popping up on your screen can be intoxicating. All you have to do is click on it, and you can put them in your log.

Then, one summer in late June I went to our club's Field Day. There was an operator there who sat down, and started working stations with CW. My thought was 'holy cow. Now THAT IS COOL!!!' I was hooked! It was that point that I got serious about learning CW, and practicing every day. With exceptions here and there (I hate it when life gets in the way of my hobbies... ;-)) I have done so ever since. I wouldn't say that I'm an incredible speed-demon type of operator, but I'm on my way to becoming proficient. I participate in contests, and rag chew on occasion (at QRS speeds).

At this point, I have decided that if I'm going to get my DXCC, I'm going to do it the the old-fashioned / hard way, and use CW to get it. Again, I don't fault those who will do it with FT8. For me, it will mean much more to me if I do it with CW.

N9DWL, W4LJ, M1WML and 5 others like this.
  13. M7ODY

M7ODY Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is quite probably in my future, so great job on practising and learning it!
    I've tried JS8CALL and faltering attempts at PSK31, RTTY and so on. Something about my combo of FT-818, raspberry pi and fldigi that's not quite gelling so far.

W4LJ, M1WML and PY2NEA like this.
  14. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people enjoy the Amateur Radio hobby. Others complain that some people enjoy the Amateur Radio hobby.

NN6A, W1KRI, N6KZB and 14 others like this.
  15. N5AGR

N5AGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My quick 2 cents. I'm a real newbie to amateur radio. Received my general license in May and have been "playing" around ever since. Sometime in June, I started using WSJT-X and FT8. I love it. I have a keen interest in mapping/GIS/geography and watching squares pop-up all over the globe keeps my spatial brain working. I'll check out regions where contacts live and in some cases research the area a bit. I have no doubt that my FT8 honeymoon period will wear off, but I still have so much more to explore in amateur radio. I'm sure my current obsession with antennas and antenna performance will last for years.

Like any forum, I just tune out the static in the background. Heck, I'm pretty sure I was the disgruntled old guy on fly fishing forums. It is a lot more fun being the excited, youngster just entering the new adventure. Of course, I'm not all that young anymore.....

N9DWL, W1KRI, N6KZB and 2 others like this.