Installing Yaesu FT-8900 in a 2011 Toyota Tundra Pickup

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by NM5RW, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0PWN

KD0PWN Ham Member QRZ Page

After doing some reading, I've come to that conclusion too. Though dated, the 706mkIIg looks inexpensive these days, and Ive seen the alinco HF mobile online at least. The 7000, is a bit over my price range right now, especially just getting my feet wet. There's also the 857D too. If it proved possible, I think I'd make a base unit at home first, if I could figure a way to string a wire antenna out of sight(apartment living, woohoo). Dont think I want the headaches of a mobile HF just yet, without considerable tutoring,lol.

2. NM5RW

NM5RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Alan, thank you--and thans for all the effort you have put into your website!
    73 (from Santa Fe.)

3. NM5RW

NM5RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Brad, where did you install the radio's main body?

4. KE5TOY

KE5TOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, just thought I would chime in here. I don't have a Tundra. I have a 2010 double cab Tacoma in which I installed my Yeasu FT-8800R.

I installed the radio under the driver's seat, used some zip ties to secure the mobile mounting bracket to the frame under the seat. It basically hangs there, so it doesn't sit on the floor (which has a vent for heat and A/C) and has enough air flow around it to not over heat. The head unit I mounted to the front of the center console between the A/C controls and the storage cubby right above the two front cup holders. I routed the wires behind the center console paneling and down under the driver's seat and wrapped them in some black split flex tubing to help protect them and make it look better.

I mounted the antenna to the hood, drivers side maybe five or six inches down from the windshield. The antenna does not get in the way when I open the hood. I again used some zip ties to secure the antenna cable to the frame of the hood, and then to the back of the engine compartment. I ran the antenna and power cable through the fire wall using the rubber plugs that fill in the several holes that are predrilled there. I think you will find that your Tundra has several holes already drilled and that they are filled with rubber plug that you can pop out. I cut the center out of one and ran the power cable for the radio and antenna cable through that hole. I did have to cut a small slit in the carpet inside the cabin, behind where the parking break is. I ran the antenna cable and power cable under the removable kick strip on the bottom of the driver's door, and then under the driver's seat. Again, I wrapped these cables in the black split flex tubing for protection and a cleaner look. The power cable runs directly to the battery.

Like you I didn't want to drill a hole in the roof of my new truck, and this seemed like the best option. It seems to work pretty well and I haven't had any problems and it looks nice and clean.

5. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Pro-fit makes fender mount brackets for the antennas. I just bought one for my new Colorado. The older radios, like the IC-706 and TS-50, are good rigs for mobile, but parts are starting to get tough to find for older rigs. Once solid-state rigs hit 10 years old or about 5 years out of production, it seems like everything is suddenly unobtanium, especially finals.

6. W7VI

W7VI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi name hr Steve/W7VI;
    Have a FT-8900 in my 2004 Tuntra . I am using a Diamond 8900 antenna and does well on 6 and 10 meter FM when the band is open. Great on 2 and 440
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.