ad: AbAuRe-1

Installing the Tram 1465 NMO Ground Plane Kit in an HOA!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd never live in an HOA neighborhood. Had my share of issues when apartment living.

Never again.

KD8WU and KA6IBM like this.
  2. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminded me of the slot antenna parabolic dish nice write up by W6NBC worth a read.

http://w6nbc.com/articles/20xx-dishslot.pdf

KK5JY likes this.
  3. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only ever ran 100w here in Suburbia. Haven't had any issues (that I know of). 50w max on VHF/UHF.

Living in an HOA has certainly influenced my decision on where we want to live next, unfortunately I wasn't yet a ham when we purchased here.

Austin has just become too congested for me anyways.... lol.

I'll eventually deploy a tower/beam of some sort when I have the space minus the HOA. Lots of space here in Texas... :p For now it'll give me time to research what to put up. Not that everyone has the ability to move from their HOA though, our reasons for moving are more specifically due to the fact that we basically can't modify our home in a lot of simple ways, and the things you can do require crazy approvals/architectural committees/permits/fees...yuck.

My ultimate setup? -> Tiny house - separate man shed - separate she shed - and a very large antenna farm. :p Off -grid of course and fully solar powered. That's my goal anyways. Until then.... I'll continue to experiment ;)

4. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

"It's sad these same people have to live as that on property that they think they own"

That's my view on the subject

5. KR4IN

KR4IN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would anyone want to live in an HOA, or ANY gated community that restricts what you can do with your property, this means you really don`t own it, don`t do as the contract states, and see what happens.
    KR4IN

6. K2MOB

K2MOB Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem can start when new "leadership" takes over your HOA. Our HOA went from doing very little to directing what we could plant and conducting daily yard inspections. You never know when the "maintaining property values" clause will bite you...

7. N4FLF

I believe in most instances a HOA adds a layer of security maintaining the property's value and quality of life. Speaking from first hand experience when we purchased our first home in a quint Florida seaside community we gradually witnessed the area decay as undesirable elements moved nearby. Property values started to plummet only compounded by the Real Estate collapse back in 07'. We sold our home just as things were bottoming out barely recouping our initial cost. It's a matter of compromise even as a amateur operator I wouldn't want my next door neighbor erecting a 70' tower no matter how you spin it; it's a eyesore. The same could be said for neighbors who choose to use a front yard as a automobile salvage yard. There's good and bad points if your willing to accept and fully understand the restrictions a HOA places on the homeowner it works for some.

8. KD8WU

KD8WU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Myself, I would never ever live anywhere that has any kind of HOA's or CC&R's.

We're in a quiet neighborhood with well maintained houses and yards. Most are the second and third generation owners (grandma's house, mom grew up there) and NO HOA or CC&R's. I can park my pickup truck (2015 F-150 4x4) in the driveway and not have to hide it in the garage. My wife can have curtain backings (?) in other than white without having to get prior approval from The Board. I can cut my grass to 2 1/2 inches instead of 2 inches and not have to worry about getting a nasty letter from some guy around the corner and two blocks down.

Sorry! Didn't mean to rant, but I do feel better now.

Bob
    KD8WU

W2AI likes this.
  9. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I respect your position. I do ask that you consider that many hams put the desires and preferences of spouses, family and work/retirement location above the optimal location for ham radio.

K4KPT and WA4WTF like this.
  10. WA4WTF

WA4WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

In some areas, in order to purchase a relatively new/energy efficient home within commuting distance of your workplace, you will be in an HOA neighborhood. This is all there is to it. If the trade-off to having lower monthly energy bills, much lower fuel bills, better re-sale value, a neighborhood pool instead of maintenance of my own pool, etc... is that I have to run a smaller antenna, hide my antenna in my attic (Plenty of space up there) or put up a mobile antenna for short periods, then this is what I will do. People criticizing others' choices to live in an HOA neighborhood is not helpful when the discussion is on smaller footprint/stealth antenna options.

KM4WRQ likes this.
  11. N3HEE

N3HEE Ham Member QRZ Page

I plan to retire to a lake community in South Carolina. Of course it has an HOA. For good reason as others have mentioned. My lot is a heavily wooded acre with 100 foot tall pines. I plan to put wires in the trees. Is a wire placed in a tree considered an antenna ? When does a wire become an antenna ?

12. N4FLF

I am somewhat envious over the availability of 100' pines on the property I do have a couple large oaks in my back yard but not nearly as tall. I found the trees to be a blessing installing my G5RV unless you were standing directly underneath the antenna looking up you wouldn't know it existed. The only giveaway is the feed-line emanating from the ground I used direct-bury for a cleaner installation. Being that the property's perimeter has 6' privacy fencing masking most visible elements is a real plus.

13. KG5UDW

KG5UDW Ham Member QRZ Page

When I moved into my HOA I didn't know that it could be this strict. I thought it was basically keeping up the yard and paint your house when needed. That was what they said anyway. Now I know if there is A weed in their site they won't tell you where this weed is, they just keeping sending threatening letters saying the same thing. You have an unsightly weed in your yard! Remove it!
    I am starting to see something come clearer; they are choosing certain people and homes to harass.
    This place in here has gone way too far. I thought it was just this neighborhood, but I have heard from other neighborhoods that they are being harassed as well. I tried not to use the word harass, but then I would be lying. I'm going to try and put antennas up in the attic. It really big up there.

14. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As with anything else in life--it is a matter of setting priorities. Some will accept living in an HOA environment with CC&Rs while others will not. I just find it rather strange for a person to own property and be told by an HOA board what he can or can not do on it.

15. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A radio tower might not be aesthetically pleasing to some but it serves a purpose which is getting a directional antenna high off the ground. That is what radio communication is all about. HOA environments might work for some but not for all!

N4FLF likes this.