ad: UR5CDX-1

Installing the Tram 1465 NMO Ground Plane Kit in an HOA!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Aug 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Installing the Tram 1465 NMO ground plane kit that was found on Amazon for less than $25. I'm in an HOA so need to keep a low profile, and this antenna does just that!

Antenna this go around will be a Comet CA 2X4SR (wide-band) antenna.

Have lots of NMO antennas that you'd like to test out? This is the option for you!

Extremely stealthy due to the thinness of the whip and overall footprint of the antenna. Weighs next to nothing so it can be easily attached to a vent pipe on the roof!

KL4IU likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this is just a minor point, but I have never understood people writing blogs and making videos about their stealth antennas that they need to hide from their local HOA... ;)

K3XR, K2MOB and KT5OT like this.
  3. W0PZD

W0PZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not many HOAs read QRZ. WOPZD

AE7IE, AC7DD, N5PZJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting product could see it's usefulness especially if you have a bunch of unused NMO's laying around. I'm in a similar circumstance maintaining a low-profile not everyone is as blessed having the ability to erect a large aerial farm but make-do with what you have. It's a real challenge at time but there are ways adding to the enjoyment.

W5KV likes this.
  5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's sad these same people have to live as that on property that they own..........but that's their choice.

KD8WU likes this.
  6. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Most of them don't allow outside antennas.

7. N4FLF

It's a matter of compromise in many instances a secure. well maintained community verses acreage. I had both and now that I'm nearing retirement age I don't miss maintaining two-acres of front lawn. Some HOA's are better than others my annual HOA payment is a whopping $85 still it's a secure nice close knit community. Neighbors are aware of my hobby and antennas in the back yard; dual band vertical and a G5RV Jr. For the amount of time I use radio and I'm more a listener than a talker it works for me. I have another amateur two blocks away who earned WAS, WAC and DXCC using a stealthy 6-BTV in his back yard.

K9ASE and (deleted member) like this.
  8. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I liked your comments on ccnr and hoa , most people would not understand.
    I also left A 1 acre piece of land to be closer to my kids. HOA has not said anything about my higain vertical,and it works.
    dave

N4FLF likes this.
  9. N7WY

N7WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HOA enforcement of CC&Rs varies geographically and with time. We are not allowed to have any antennas or trees the HOA did not plant. Still, across the street there are 2 forests of trees. Regarding the trade-off of mowing 2 acres and having a good antenna vs not mowing and hiding a poor antenna, I'm going with mowing and a Yagi. 73, Bob R - PS - check the 2nd picture on my QRZ page - Cheyenne has more CC&Rs than any place, but the taxes here are almost NIL.

10. N4FLF

I can appreciate having the necessary acreage I'm just returning to the hobby after a long absence family responsibilities took precedence. After moving beyond my days of motorcycling and boating amateur radio is pretty sedate and in my case significantly cheaper. Know all about the risks involved with inclement weather having withstood numerous Florida tropical storms and the occasional hurricane. I suspect if I had a tower and large array I would spend considerable time either worrying or dismantling each time a hurricane warning appeared. Witnessed my share of very expensive antenna arrays being twisted beyond repair during major wind producing storms.

11. N6CAL

N6CAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a lame HOA.

I took a round outdoor table with a center hole for a 1.5" umbrella pipe and installed 20' of mast tube for my 2M antenna. and anchored it down.

They are unable to find anything in the rules against it so far. Its not attached or permanent.

N0TZU, KD8WU and W5KV like this.
  12. KK5JY

Does that mean that they are actively looking? Wow...

KA6IBM likes this.
  13. N6CAL

N6CAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they sent me a letter about when I installed it to the roof. I then moved it and they sent another letter asking me to remove it. I refused and asked under what rule, they have nothing. the "President" told me in the parking lot that they will find a rule that it is unacceptable.

Nothing like "owning" a home. Never again a HOA.

14. KK5JY

:eek:

15. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

The same hams that insist on running amplifiers.