ad: SOTA-1

Installing the Hustler 6BTV - From Start to Finish

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ACL, Sep 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K5ACL

K5ACL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent Gary... sounds very similar to my setup! I've thought about pounding a few ground radials in around the base... even just to experiment to attach other antennas to if needed. After watching a video of a gentlemen drive a ground rod in the other day with a bosch jack hammer.... i'm already searching for the tool & attachment!

2. K5ACL

Excellent install! Hog Panels! I would have done that, but it would have required digging up the entire yard - I see that would be an excellent idea in that type of climate! Job well done.

Yes, that is WSPR (www.wsprnet.org)

3. KT4EP

KT4EP Subscriber QRZ Page

I put up the 4BTV in 2013. Added the DX Engineering radial plate, tilt-over, 100 radials. It's a killer antenna. I feed it with 50 feet of 213 coax. I added the 30 meter band trap, too. My antenna system and shack are well grounded for RF problems. I also have a 52 foot tower with a 160 foot inverted vee fed with 450 ohm windowed line. At night, the Hustler is just as good if not better than the inverted vee on 30/40 meters. The Hustler is pretty much resonant on 10, 15, and 20 meters so I use a tuner for 30 and 40 meters. They are 2:1 anyhow. Yes, you will spend extra money for the Hustler to get the tilt over, the radial - plate, etc etc etc., but tell me you don't spend extra on any antenna? Thanks for the video !

K5ACL likes this.
  4. K5VOP

K5VOP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! I set mine up, had to adjust the 30m trap but enjoy it in my HOA with a tilt base, down during the week and up for weekend contests! I didn't spend $500, I have 33ftx16 radials =$50, tilt base=$75, mount=$12, radial plate=$18 and it is quieter than my dipole! All in $355! 80m is of course narrow but mine sits in the digital area as I don't ragchew. It isn't in the best spot, hiding along my fence when tilted down, but works great for me!

K5ACL likes this.
  5. OX3AH

OX3AH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi
    you can have a look at my installation on the roof. Works great. Infact this is the preferred installation option the manual recommends. 73 from Greenland OX3AH[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K5ACL, KE0CU and AJ4EM like this.
  6. K5ACL

Beautiful installation! If you can do elevated go for it! I imagine the majority of hams will use a ground mount antenna especially given that the radials for 40m/80m might be a bit long for your average size lot!

I recommend the DX Engineering Guide, which specifically recommends ground mounting the antenna:

"There are multiple ways to install a Hustler® BTV antenna. The most efficient way is to ground mount the antenna, keeping clear of any metal objects and using a good ground radial system.

Ground mounting your quarter-wave vertical antenna will produce significantly improved long range results when your installation includes a good ground-level radial wire system. Seven decades of experiments show that ground mounting with many radials is your best choice."

This guide can be found @ https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-btv-inst-ins_sn.pdf

Thanks for sharing!

7. KB3RCT

KB3RCT Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to buy those high dollar add on's. A piece of aluminum, couple of U bolts and a coffee can do the trick. Mine has been up for 8 years. Only problem is the plastic caps on the traps cracked.

Attached Files:

K5ACL likes this.
  8. W9OFF

W9OFF Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed a 6BTV earlier this year with 30 radials. Wow! A real DX antenna! With only 90 watts, will bust through most pileups. Had to camo the antenna to make it less noticeable. Even added a little Spanish Moss for the effect. Photos on QRZ page. Took it down for hurricane IRMA just to be on the safe side, but it does handle moderate wind gusts up to 25 MPH with no problems.

K9XAV and K5ACL like this.
  9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice, informative, and well done video. I have a 5 btv and was very disappointed in the rx when compared to a dipole. There were stations I could barely hear on the vertical compared to the dipole. Maybe I need to take time and do an installation that it deserves...

K5ACL likes this.
  10. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct, this is the best method of installation. Elivated radials is much better that laying on the ground.