ad: cq2k-1

Installing EasyPal DSSTV Software on a fresh Windows 10

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N8MDP, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N8MDP

N8MDP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I recently had to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a new SSD. Unfortunately, I can't get the last version of EasyPal, version 07-OCT-2014, to install at all. Tried earlier releases but same problem Every time I try to install, I get the error message:

Setup was unable to create the directory "C:\Documents and Settings\n8mdp\Application Data\EasyPal"
    Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

The installer says the user data will be in:
    W7 windowsdrive\users\"user name"\app data\roaming\Easypal

I've tried installing in compatibility modes Windows 8 and Windows 7. Same problem. I've tried installing in Administrator mode with same results. My version of Windows 10 is:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
    Version: 2004
    Installed On: 6/23/2020
    OS Build: 19041.329
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Anyone else have an experience like this and what can I do to solve this. I really want to use this. I have EasyPal running on another Windows 10 computer but not with the latest version of Win10 as well as on a Win 7 computer. Appreciate any suggestions or workarounds.

Thanks......John N8MDP

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe just manually build the folders you need?

Ed

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you running the installer as "Administrator" ?

You may need to do that so that the installer has Write rights to the proper folders.

Edit; Looks like you tried that. That was the only idea that I had.

4. N8MDP

I'll try to manually install the software. Maybe I can take an existing install on one of my other computers and simply transfer the files. Just not sure if there is anything in the registry that could be impacted.

5. N8MDP

Manually building the folders does not work. I'm going to try to install this on an older version of Windows 10. I'm thinking the latest build of Windows 10 may be part of the problem.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds about right.

You may have to go into the policy editor to make it work. That will make the proper changes in the registry.

Never Give up on a Can Do. ;):)

7. N8MDP

Thanks. I'm going to install EasyPal on a different computer with the older version of Windows 10 to see if it will install or not. Not sure what is going on with this latest version of Win10. I don't want to use a separate computer just for EasyPal. So we shall see!

OK. Just installed EasyPal on my XYL's computer running Windows 10 Home, Version 1903, build 18362.900. installed just fine. Making me wonder if Microsoft in their ultimate wisdom changed something. Beginning to feel like a Path problem in how the c:\Documents and Settings\n8mdp\... yada yada that EasyPal says it's going top versus the path in Win 10 which is C:\Users\n8mdp\AppData\Roaming\....

Not giving up.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. N8MDP

Taking a very close look at the Windows 10 Junction points. Problem may be there. More to follow.

9. N8MDP

As I suspected, I had Win10 Junction links that were incorrect, which was preventing EasyPal to install. Once I corrected the Win10 Junction links, EasyPal installed just fine and is working.

Research and persistence always pays off.

Thanks.
    John
    N8MDP

KA9JLM likes this.
  10. AC9NQ

AC9NQ Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you do this? I'm more of a linux guy. EasyPal loads on my Win10 machine but the program won't open. everything I've found on the internet hasn't worked.