Installing amp/battery gage

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by K4RKY, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to install a amp/battery condition guage in line with my emergency battery and power converter so I can monitor battery condition when running in emergency power mode. I use a 400 watt 12v/110vac converter connected to a deep cycle battery but have no guages connected. I think it to be simple but would like some suggestions on size and configuration. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Rick/K4RKY

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

All you really need is a voltmeter. Most inverters will work down to 10.8 volts or so, some will start giving a warning beep before that. Your voltage will tell you basically where you are at in the discharge process.

Joe

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The current meter (amp reading device) goes in series with the load and the volt meter goes between the positive and negative leads.

Glen, K9STH

4. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Rick, a simple ammeter in series will give you the drain. If you also want to monitor a charging current, you will need a zero-center meter, or a switch to reverse it. Then an accurate voltmeter will tell you a lot. I use a $10 digi panel meter to measure both, very accurate if set up with the right shunt and multiplier, and polarity is no problem.

The ammeter drop is only 200mv at 20 amps.

Mine needs a separate isolated 9v battery power supply, maybe some do not.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen digital voltage/current meters (with gold plated connectors ;) ) intended for use with the high powered car audio and subwoofer amolifiers. This sort of thing would be ideal. The prices in NZ aren't too bad, so they should be very cheap over there. ;)

If you fit an analogue voltmeter it is best to have an offset zero one: say a 5V movement with a 10V zener in series.

6. WN2SQC

WN2SQC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a guy on QRZ selling inexpensive digital VOM's that would be fine for your application. I have a bunch of these and they're great, one mistake, some smoke, and they hit the bin and another one comes out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.