Installing a fuse

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1FGC, Jul 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a heathkit DX60 with a fuse soldered directy in to the main line.I was thinking of putting in an inline fuse.The fuse is rated at 3amps. I plan on replacing the polarized 2 prong plug to a 3 prong.any suggestions?

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

YouTube video by D-Lab shows one approach.

N4FZ likes this.
  3. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure the fuse and fuseholder you choose are rated for 120 / 240 VAC service.

Some of the glass type (and newer blade type) fuses are NOT rated to clear Mains voltage - instead intended for use on low voltage DC circuits.

N4FZ likes this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never seen "blade" (automotive type) fuses rated at anything over 32 Volts. They ARE designed and intended for low voltage use! (They MIGHT exist, but I've never seen them.) It's usually the glass tubular type fuses that can be confusing; while often identical in size and shape, SOME will be rated foe 32 Volt (e.g., automotive use) and some are rated @ 250 Volts, with the same current rating. You MUST use the 250 Volt variety for mains (120 or 240 Volt line voltages) but you CAN use either for low (32 Volt) use. Be careful to get the 250 Volt rated ones for their intended use.
    Fuses from reliable manufacturers WILL have both the Voltage AND current ratings stamped on the metal end caps; beware of fuses that don't have such ratings provided ON each fuse.

KB0MNM likes this.
  5. K4JDH

K4JDH Ham Member QRZ Page

They do make higher rated blade fuses in the "Maxi" style. I looked at these recently for battery banks at work. They contain chemicals to contain the arc-over. As I remember from a former life the voltage rating is all about what happens during a short circuit. Ionized air conducts well. We settled on standard automotive 30A as we only have 48V. We have gone for years with #8 copper from battery to the disconnect so this was an improvement.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I had a DX-60 (around 1962-64), the DX-60 came with a 2-wire AC cord and a plug that had two 3 amp 3AG glass tubular fuses in the plug.