ad: Schulman-1

Install of Scorpion SA-680 mobile HF antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC7YRA, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

European cars have no chassis and are of monocoque construction. Most of the lower rear panel of the cars are composite panels that go round the sides to the wheelarch. Its possible to put something in but you'd end up with something that resembles the worst type of install on Alans site - one stuck out in the air with no metal below it. It would also end up being something that would fail the annual MOT test unless you could remove it.

All is not lost though. I'm at midlife crisis car age and a truck like yours would be seen as such a thing here in England.

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You wouldn't be the first :D

3. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Lol, midlife crisis truck. That's funny.

I take it most folks don't own trucks there?

Brad

4. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Few more updates for those interested. My hope is,

1. This thread will help folks currently installing an HF setup in their vehicles.
    2. People will be able to find this thread and get some info on Scorpion antennas in the future.

Anyway, I was having a problem with an interment something in the system that was causing the SWR to spike with every bump in the road.

I messed with it for a while and ran out of ideas. I called Ron at Scorpion.

He spent a good deal of time working through potential problems with me. After we got off the phone, he thought of more items to check and called me back, only to spend even more time on the phone with me.

A total shocker, I asked for help in disassembling the antenna WHICH HE DID!!! A manufacturer who was covering a complex mechanical contraption under a warranty actually gave me instructions on how to take the antenna apart. Now, I am no slouch when it comes to mechanical design and maintenance so maybe he felt a little more comfortable telling me, but I was still very impressed. As a side note, I was impressed with the machining and level of care put into building these things. Taking it apart, I was in awe at the complex yet simplistic (if that makes any sense) level of the build.

I then returned home and checked my E-mail which had a message from Ron with even more ideas to check.

Long story short, I think Ron spent over an hour helping me track down a problem. This was on Sunday of all times.

I ended up finding several things that were my fault. A crappy connection on one end of the shunt coil and another connection I had loosened during installation and not brought back up to an adequate torque level.

All is well now and working great. Let this be a lesson for those diagnosing problems with their mobile HF setup. Let it also be a lesson for other manufacturers /businesses on how customer service is supposed to be run.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.