ad: LEARA-1

Inhibit TX on FTM-400?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KF7MBK, Jun 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KF7MBK

KF7MBK Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been able to figure out how to programmatically inhibit transmit on the 400. Other than just changing the TX freq to an unrelated frequency, is there a way like on the 8800 to inhibit transmit on a particular channel?

Thanks!

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you want to?

The FTM-400 is not like a Baofeng in that it can transmit outside the amateur bands. It has a wide receive capability (I use mine to listen to air band, Marine VHF and railroad radio) but it's locked out of transmitting outside the amateur bands.

3. KF7MBK

So someone without a license can still use it to listen without me worrying they are going to transmit.

4. WC5P

WC5P Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Simple

Don’t give him the microphone.

5. KF7MBK

This is the Mobil Radio Systems forum, not the philosophical forum right? Anyone have an answer for my actual question?

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Try putting all zeros in the TX frequency.

That works on some radios. Not sure if it will work for that model.

7. KF7MBK

Thanks for the reply. I tried that Using the Yaesu programming software and it says invalid frequency. I tried to put an offset in to make it zero, but that didn't work either.

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't work on the RT Systems software for that radio either.

If you're not going to be around to supervise the use of the radio, then just remove the microphone.

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Whenever I leave a vehicle anywhere for service I always remove the microphone. I don't need any curious mechanics experimenting.
    I have an FTM-400. I don't remember seeing anything in the menus or the manual about a TX inhibit. I really can't image many hams would want it.

KA9JLM likes this.