ad: w5yi

Info about software for ADI mobiles

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB1JCY, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm posting this as a service to hams who have purchased an ADI mobile and own a Windows 2000/XP PC. This could save you a lot of time and grief.

If you own an ADI 2m, 220, or 70cm mobile and want to program it from your PC, read up. Don't use the software with Windows 2000/XP. Doesn't work.

The software is not programmed to work with Win2k/XP's new Hardware Abstraction Layer. What that means in the new kernel for Windows 2k/XP, the way hardware talks to software, was changed. ADI's software was not written to make the right calls to the kernel as it runs in user space and can't communicate to kernel space.

The ADI software requires the API calls provided by a Windows 95/98/ME environment which has limited kernel/userspace separation. So you're going to need to get your hands on a Win98 PC to program your radio. You could try getting Knoppix Linux and booting from your Knoppix CD to run WINE. But I have not tested this.

Also credit goes to N1KJN for letting me use his ADI 220 mobile to test the software.

Glen, or another mod, can you make this a sticky after your review?

2. KB1JCY

KB1JCY Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes:

This place has gone to shirt.

The point was to advise people who have bought an ADI rig that they might be in for a frustrating struggle. The software does not come with a manual. Just a README file with a few words in Engrish. There was NO information on the web about this steaming pile of crap code on the Web.

I took time to build a Win 98 PC to test the software. Then I slogged through a nor'easter snow storm to work on the ADI radio. Least I could get is a thanks.

We didn't have an XP machine available to test. I was under the assumption that the kernel in XP was close enough to produce the same results. I am teh suck, yuo are teh l33t.  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.