*inexpensive* enclosure for radio equipment??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB3LOM, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB3LOM

KB3LOM Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a portable repeater that we use in emergencies. I need to come up with a weather-tight enclosure that can house the unit while it is operational, yet still be portable enough to be picked up by one person and moved.

I was thinking along the lines of something mounted to a handtruck, but can't find anything I can adapt and not have it look like I slept with my sister.

The repeater is of the desktop variety... about the size of the old VCR's.

Thanks for any help!!

2. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello 3lom

who cares what it looks like

cheap sturdy water tight

Coleman cooler

yours truly

Mac dit dit

3. KB3LOM

KB3LOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh... I thought of that.... and a lot of other crazy things, too!!!

I would need to cut a few smallish holes for the fan and cable connections. Those coolers are double walled with a foam insulation, right?

Thanks for the input.

4. KG5AJP

KG5AJP Ham Member QRZ Page

enclosure...hmm

Well i like the cooler idea..
    Cheap, sturdy ( could pull double duty as a bench to sit on or what have you)' and would keep the rptr dry.

If your worried about esthetics, why not musician cases? They are tough, made for carting around electronic gear (amps, Joe's talk box etc..),
    They have metal re-enforced corners and some have wheels, some are carry-able too.

Tom/Kc7rjt -.-

5. KD0BQM

KD0BQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Aluminum Camera case. Muffin Fan on "bottom" and watertight cord grips for ins and outs. Rain shield (tarp w/small tent-shaped frame) usually not needed but optional.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

BQM: Are you sure about that?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

7. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to work for a battery recycling company. Back in the battery de-casing area we needed to not only have some of the equipment in water resistant enclosures it also had to be acid resistant.

Most of the real expensive/important stuff went inside plastic boxes made by and out fit called ‘Buddy Box’.

I think this was the same outfit that used to make {or may well still be making} the project boxes a lot of older hams might be familiar with.

They were pretty stout poly or fiberglass boxes with a neoprene gasket in a groove around the perimeter of the lid/door.

I have to admit, I did a quick search and didn’t find a link but I’d bet the ‘General tool’ catalog still has something similar.

I’m not sure what the prices would be these days but at the time they seemed pretty reasonable not a cheap as a coalman cooler maybe, it would be up to you I suppose.

8. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what "inexpensive" means, but what I'd suggest is a rack case that pros use for live sound. You might find something listed here on the Sam Ash website. The list covers four pages. If your repeater can be rack mounted, something like this would be ideal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.