Inexpensive 7" monitor, HDMI input?

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KC8QVO, Jul 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know where I may be able to find an inexpensive 7" monitor that has an HDMI input (preferably)?

I suppose something in the 5-7" range would work and I could use an HDMI adapter to something else (RCA, VGA) worst-case, but having a direct HDMI would be easier.

I am working on a micro computer project with a family member. My application is dedicated to ham radio purposes. Once we get things working I want a couple set ups - one dedicated to audio for voice keying and digital modes, and another dedicated to logging. Then the goal is to set up another 3x units for network logging. For me, the 7" screen size would be ideal. I will have to prototype this one, though, and see how others respond to the screen size. I may need to increase that if the logging is too hard for some to work through on the small screen.

I've found the raspberry pi screens. There are a lot of screens in the auto industry for headrest DVD players ect. I don't need anything high-res, just a basic screen as low of cost as I can find. Mouser has some screens in their embedded solutions section but none of their offerings are particularly inexpensive.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one of the composite headrest monitors for my Icom 7000. Tried it with a Raspberry Pi, looked like caca. FleaBay, Banggood or others likely have one. Just be sure you aren't getting an open-frame unit -- you want one in a housing. Many are for digital camera and video stuff.

3. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Adafruit

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I cannot believe you actually did any searching. Took me 5 seconds to find a zillion of them just at Amazon alone :)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-7-30_11-55-4.png

VK4HAT likes this.
  5. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,It might have just been a quiz.. ..:rolleyes:

W7UUU likes this.
  6. VK2HHS

VK2HHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought and used an Eyoyo branded 7 inch monitor a little while ago.

It does what the blurb says it should ...

7. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page