ad: AlphaRF-1

INDIANA- what about new hands free law?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Jul 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I personally drive using only hands-free devices

If you'll go back over the last few years you'll see that I have made numerous post stating that manufacturers need to build Bluetooth devices for amateur radio operators

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

So I take, then, it that your answer is No -- you have not successfully dissuaded an LEO from writing you a ticket for operating your radio by stating that you're operating under Federal authority ... as you advised others to do in your post.
    ;)

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you rather we weren't and therefor not allowed to operate radios while mobile?

What is it with QRZ and CB? Do they have cooties or something?

Ever hear of the federal supremacy clause?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacy_Clause

Both concepts have merits, thus the need to discuss which to apply when they appear to conflict.

K0UO likes this.
  4. K0UO

To KS2G
    The point was/ can a person operate mobile in Indiana with an U.S. amateur license/ the answer is absolutely YES.
    So a Federal license must mean something to the Lawmakers in Indiana.
    (1) amateur radio equipment that is being operated by a person licensed as an amateur radio operator by the Federal Communications Commission under 47 CFR Part 97; or

If I was not using hands-free devices (which I stated earlier and in other post, is important that we do for safety) and got stopped, I would give them the same answer, and they should not write you a ticket.

Not much different than the Indiana authorities stopping me after I land my airplane, they have no real Authority Under the FAA.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Be sure to keep a copy of your license and the regulations so you can show the officer that you're exempt from local traffic laws.

WN1MB and K1VSK like this.
  6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it would be like Indiana authorities getting upset if you park or taxi your airplane on a road and you tell them that you have a FAA license to operate it so therefore they have no authority.

7. K0UO

Some states actually allow you to land on highways and Roads

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

How would any state prevent you landing on a road when you're operating under Federal Authority with your license from the FAA? It would be like trying to enforce hands free laws on hams even though they have a license from the FCC.

9. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeeeeeeez sorry I asked! :rolleyes:

10. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

uhhh, they are us . most of us