ad: QSKLLC-1

INDIANA- what about new hands free law?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AAZ, Jul 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am next to Indiana and have cause to travel there occasionally. Just saw that the gov. is signing another one of those "hands free" laws for devices in the car. So since the article does not mention, does that prohibit microphones or radios? I would hope not, by now most of those laws are a bit more enlightened.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you read the law to see if there are any exemptions?

K1OIK, K7MH and W7UUU like this.
  3. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Been rather busy this morning but I did do some quick research and found the following in the law...
    IC 9-13-2-177.3"Telecommunications device"
    Sec. 177.3. (a) "Telecommunications device", for purposes of IC 9-21-8, IC 9-25-4-7, IC 9-24-11-3.3 (before its repeal), and IC 9-24-11-3.7, means an electronic or digital telecommunications device. The term includes a:

(1) wireless telephone;

(2) personal digital assistant;

(3) pager; or

(4) text messaging device.

(b) The term does not include:

(1) amateur radio equipment that is being operated by a person licensed as an amateur radio operator by the Federal Communications Commission under 47 CFR Part 97; or

(2) a communications system installed in a commercial motor vehicle weighing more than ten thousand (10,000) pounds.

As added by P.L.101-2009, SEC.2. Amended by P.L.185-2011, SEC.1; P.L.59-2013, SEC.1; P.L.198-2016, SEC.171.\

For the time I had to look it over it would appear it's not a new law that went into effect on July 1st but an amendment(s) to existing law.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

dang it .... you beat me to the punch. Here is what it says:

Does the law only apply to phones?No. The hands-free law applies to electronic communications devices which includes cell phones, tablets and smart-watches. However, smart watches may be used while driving as a conventional watch to check time. Amateur radio, two-way radio and citizens band (CB) may be used under the hands-free law, but drivers are required to do so in a safe manner.

Yep... we're lumped in with CBers. :eek:

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur radios is exempt

In those States just tell thm you're operating under Federal Authority not state/ with a Federally issued cam license!!

Then see if they want to write you a ticket and go to all the trouble in court. But Don't use the phrase Ham radio!!!

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cops love it when you try to tell them about the law and call yourself an................................amateur!

K1OIK, PU2OZT, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah don't provide them any information/ like "it's amateur radio or ham radio" you don't have to tell them anything/ just tell them what I said above above and them decide if they want to write you a ticket!!

you're operating under Federal Authority not state/ with a Federally issued license!!

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

And in a contest between the cop and driver deciding if the vehicle is operating in a “safe manner”, while using a radio, let’s guess who wins that debate.

Apparently, a few here think it’s an exclusion. The statute appears to allow use of a ham radio only if the cop determines that.

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever hear of the concept of state primacy?